Get the latest Education e-news

Old 10-31-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
Silverbrand

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Question Too Old To Get Started?

I have been thinking about going into game development, probably programming. I am 32 and have been dancing around school for many years, never really sure what to do. My job reimburses tuition up to a certain amount a year, so it has basically just be an exercise in trying new things.

Is 32 years old just starting towards a degree too old to start into this? Should I just accept it? The community college I have been going to has a degree Comp. Sci. Development & Programming. Is that even a good start?

I see lots of people saying that being older and transitioning into game development isn't that much of an issue, since you can utilize skills developed in your current career, but I don't think my 9 years in hospital lab doing data entry really applies.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:56 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2272
Default Re: Too Old To Get Started?

Quote:
Is 32 years old just starting towards a degree too old to start into this?
No.

Quote:
The community college I have been going to has a degree Comp. Sci. Development & Programming. Is that even a good start?
Depends. Not all courses are equal (despite having the same name).

More importantly, it might be wise to see if programming appeals to you before committing to a degree. Try this: http://www.codecademy.com/#!/exercise/0
Old 10-31-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
Silverbrand

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
More importantly, it might be wise to see if programming appeals to you before committing to a degree.
I took a course that touched on Visual Basic and a very small amount on C++. I took to the visual basic very well and enjoyed it. The C++...not as much? But that was the last couple weeks of the course and the teacher really didn't cover it very well.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbrand View Post
Too old to get started?
No. http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m71.htm
Also read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson41.htm - switching careers.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
kbrown5523

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

No, I don't think it's too late. I think that school in general can be tough after you've been out for a long time. I don't think what you're choosing to do is an issue. I wouldn't sell your life experience short either. There are some long boring hours involved in progamming and your data entry experience might help more than you think. Also, I'm sure you have other experience to bring to the table besides work experience.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
jackiesoreyz

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Hi,

If you feel that you love programming, then go for it. 32 is still young to discover more on things we want and what career we are comfortable working with aside from working as data entry. I've been also working that before and I feel bored. So I shift to other career.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
dgb101

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

It really goes back to passion. I'm a retired programmer, and after just a year away from it, I find myself getting back into microprocessor programming as a hobby. -- Just couldn't stay away.

If you're doing it just for the money, reconsider, but if you're fascinated with problem solving, creating, putting little pieces together to make increasingly elaborate "systems", then programming (and possibly game programming, which is a very specialized niche) might be something you'll learn to love.

Don't get me wrong. There's "work" involved in any career, but if you don't love the core element of what you're doing, you'll end up burnt out and looking for your "next career" (which isn't always a bad thing).

In today's constantly changing workforce, people often experience multiple career changes in their lifetime, but to streamline that process, try getting hold of a copy of "What Color is Your Parachute" or some similar self-discovery tool. Discover the areas you gravitate to naturally. During my career I tried three times to leave the field of programming, but I always ended up going back. It's just how I'm wired.

Don
Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 AM   #8
cconlan

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

I don't think it is ever too late. It really is common place for people to have multiple career changes in their life time. If you follow your passion then it makes working that much more enjoyable.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #9
peterv

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

They say people change their career on average about 5-10 times throughout their life.

I'm 27 and I have good, creative ideas for games but I've always needed that next step, that edge to make me feel that they could actually work and people other than myself can actually enjoy them. I've decided to push myself to go for it and hope for the best.

So I'm five years younger than you...though I sometimes feel like I'm about 70, I do mostly still feel young so I don't see 32 as being too old for sure.

Go for it my friend, let your creativity flow.

Pete.
Closed Thread