Old 04-26-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123
Default XNA, gateway to console design.

XNA, for those who do not know, is a programming language buy Microsoft designed to make games. (I think it's a language, Actually it's in C# but it's a little shy of an engine) It has support for windows applications and is fairly easy to learn if your good at understanding documentation. Another option is to get the pro version and it gives you everything you need to program not the Xbox 360. Many companies would like console programming experience and this is your chance to get it.

XNA comes setup with Xbox 360 controller support through the joystick class, and it also has a Audio manager and functionality. This only supports waves though. I would suggest creating your own audio manager using FMOD though I know it is supported on Xbox but have not tried it yet. You may need a different version of FMOD api.

With everything said XNA helps people get into the door with easy game creation or console games. Whatever you like. There are some complete engines made out of the XNA framework like XNA Magic (now known as Blade3D), and TorgueX.

Have fun in creating your games
~Justin Dooley

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
HagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
iddqd

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

I have a game scheduled for development this summer on the 360 through XNA that I'm doing with a friend of mine. I'm looking forward to doing a console game

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do too much research into it as of yet (stupid exams/projects), but from what I understand XNA isn't a programming language, but an IDE (Integrated Development Environment). It basically includes a set of libraries and tools to handle the low level aspects of game development. I think XInput is what they're using for joystick support and XAct is used for audio, for example. You do have to use C#, though, as your development language.

It looks cool, but *from what I understand* you can only distribute your game to other Creator's Club users by way of giving them your source and having them recompile it for their console. Normal Xbox Live subscribers are out of your audience range Still a very cool idea, though...
iddqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:43 PM   #3
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

Quote:
Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
It looks cool, but *from what I understand* you can only distribute your game to other Creator's Club users by way of giving them your source and having them recompile it for their console. Normal Xbox Live subscribers are out of your audience range Still a very cool idea, though...
Ahh but you are only thinking about step one. If you create a full working game that looks good and plays great and generally is fun, you will not have a problem pitching it to Microsoft saying make this available on Xbox live Arcade for whatever price you want. You made the game for fun and practice if you can get a "Shipped title" out of the deal then great. even if you sell it to them for Xbox live credits an exchange has taken place and thus it's legal.

That and I know for a fact that Microsoft holds competitions for publishing your title, prizes and cash quite often. I am currently developing a game for the XNA competition that does just that.

This competition is due in just under 2 months so it's kinda short notice to create a full game but if your up to it I would suggest looking into it.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
iddqd

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

Yup...as I said, still a very cool idea My main goal is still getting something developed on a console. The contest sounds interesting, but I still have a ways to go to start my project. I may be in the mix next year, though...I actually just finished competing in an ACM game programming contest and won 1st place. That was a 3 week development cycle with only one other guy. Had to do everything from scratch, too. Engine, models, model importers, particle effects...you get the idea. You can learn a lot from the conditions contests put you under.
iddqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

Quote:
Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
I actually just finished competing in an ACM game programming contest and won 1st place.
Wow congratulations. Just two questions, Whats ACM and where can I see what you have made? I love seeing others work and asking questions, giving criticism. Hey why not right?

Old 01-31-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
GhostManZero

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Just wanted to say that XNA Game Studio is basically Visual C# 2005 Express (now 2008 Express) using .net framework 2.0 (or 3.5 with 2008), using XNA itself as a .net library.

XNA isnt just a library, though, it also contains tools and documentation to help you bring your games together in a less painfull way.
GhostManZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
Raen

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

I HATE XNA, with a passion, for one simple reason: It uses C#. XNA is really just a way for Microsoft to take an open-standard and make it theirs. They would like control of the C language, and C# is just a way to do that.
Raen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2272

What is wrong with providing a complete and stable library to make developing games at home easier with a complete pipeline with tools? Along with the fact that they are opening the Xbox360 and Zune in N.America for games development I can't see how this is a bad thing.

I can't even see how they are making an open-standard 'theirs'. They have just built tools and libraries for it.

Last edited by yaustar : 02-23-2008 at 12:01 PM.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:15 AM   #9
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raen View Post
I HATE XNA, with a passion, for one simple reason: It uses C#. XNA is really just a way for Microsoft to take an open-standard and make it theirs. They would like control of the C language, and C# is just a way to do that.
C# is a .NET language that was developed and is distributed by Microsoft. While it borrows principles from C, it is essentially Microsoft Java/Delphi more than anything else. It's more a free-to-use Microsoft Product than an open-standard.

XNA is a great idea because it provides a system for hobbyist developers and students to develop games for console. Anyone who keeps us with Gamasutra will realise that students get XNA Creators Club Membership for free (UCAS Extra required for UK students attending non-participating universities) and the new peer-review 360LiveArcade distribution system is entering beta!

Although, any hardcore C++ fans can always go and buy a 360 Dev Kit for £(20-30)k
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote