Get the latest Education e-news

Old 12-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
SolidPhantom

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default I could use some advice

Hello there, I really like this site, there is some excellent articles which have helped me a lot already. However, there are some things I am still pondering on.
I am currently attending my third and final year in Swedish High School, and I plan to study in the US directly afterwards.

I want to work in the games industry, no doubt about that. I am not sure what I want to do yet, however. I don't have any special talents that I could think of. I am very interested, but not proficient, in concept art, though. I could also see myself working with marketing or public relations. I like the thought of being some kind of representative a company, someone that will be seen and heard. I even did a big project for school just recently where I went to Shanghai and interviewed American McGee, the creator behind Plants vs Zombies and Alice: Madness Returns. No joke.

Another major I am thinking about is Computer & Information Science, but I am not sure how this could be useful in the games industry.

If I decide to pursue a degree in Art, concept art or something similar, do I have to be good at drawing before I study it in a university?
If I decide to study some sort of marketing or something of that nature, it is possible to develop drawing skills by my own and then get employed as a concept artist even though I don't have a formal degree?

Also, I have been thinking of maybe pursuing a traditional degree rather than a games degree. I have read quite a a lot about the subject on the web. I couldn't find any definite answers, but it would seem like a traditional degree is "safer" in some ways. What do you think? Would it be equally possible to get a solid career in the games industry with a traditional degree in the majors I am thinking about to study?

Thanks for your answers!

Last edited by SolidPhantom : 12-12-2011 at 08:39 AM.
SolidPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1884
Default Re: I could use some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishPhantom View Post
1. I am not sure what I want to do yet, however.
2. I don't have any special talents that I could think of. I am very interested, but not proficient, in concept art, though.
3. I could also see myself working with marketing or public relations.
4. Another major I am thinking about is Computer & Information Science, but I am not sure how this could be useful in the games industry.
5. If I decide to pursue a degree in Art, concept art or something similar, do I have to be good at drawing before I study it in a university?
6. If I decide to study some sort of marketing or something of that nature, it is possible to develop drawing skills by my own and then get employed as a concept artist even though I don't have a formal degree?
7. Also, I have been thinking of maybe pursuing a traditional degree rather than a games degree. I have read quite a a lot about the subject on the web. I couldn't find any definite answers
8. but it would seem like a traditional degree is "safer" in some ways. What do you think?
9. Would it be equally possible to get a solid career in the games industry with a traditional degree in the majors I am thinking about to study?
1. That's not unusual. You should take a wide variety of courses and explore. Choose a major before your junior year, though. It almost doesn't matter what major you choose, as long as it's something you enjoy.
2. Interest isn't good enough. Artistic talent is an absolute necessity for concept art.
3. Good, then that suggests some courses you could take.
4. You don't have to be sure of that. You just have to enjoy your major, whatever it is.
5. You'll need to check with your chosen schools about that. Many do require a portfolio.
6. Anything is possible, but that is unlikely.
7. You couldn't? Then read these:
http://scientificninja.com/blog/on-game-schools
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For-profit_education
http://www.igda.org/games-game-june-2009
http://www.igda.org/games-game-july-2009
8. I think it's obvious that a traditional degree is best, at least to start with.
9. Most people in the industry got a traditional degree. And they did it with a variety of different degrees.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote