Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Game Career Guide > Getting Started
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Doreo

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default How to begin studying for a career in 3D Modelling?

Hi!

This is my first post in this forum, so let me introduce myself:

My name is Dor, I'm 17 (grade 12), and I'm and I only recently found out that art and 3D Modelling is extremely awesome! Well, I always loved art, but never did it at school, only at home when bored, and not very often, but I do it from time to time, and I loved it.

Last summer when trying to figure out what I want to do in life (since I'm in Grade 12 now) I figured out that I love Video Games and Movies, and decided that I want to make them. And so, I tried 3D modelling for the first time and absolutely loved it! Every time I learn something new I get all excited about it and it's just feeling great to model!

I want to study in Canada and I found out about VFS. In the middle of the application process though I found out about what it really is like through all the reviews I didn't bother to read before I realized it's too good to be true and so I've been on a hunt for other places.

I've been looking at other universities and Think Tank Training Centre and Lost Boys Studios and both actually looked excellent but I'm not sure about applying to them quite yet. The reason is that I'm not sure if I'm old enough for them. I looked at the different qualifications studios like Pixar or gaming companies look for and they all ask for a Bachelors degree. The thing is, I want to become a 3D Modeller (because it's so much fun! and I get excited every time I make something new or learn something I did not know before!).

So my questions are:
1) Do I need a BA to be successful? Would going only to the one year course at, for example, TTTC, matter later in life?

2) Would you recommend someone my age (who would be almost 18 [born in October] if started studying in Uni next year) to go straight into a one year intensive course like the one offered in TTTC or VFS or Lost Boys Studios etc.?

3) If not, what would you recommend? a BA? some other sort of program? What kind? (that is, in what specific subject?)

4) Is VFS really THAT bad? did anyone have a good experience when going to the 3D Animation and Visual Effects? Anyone who came without experience?

I think this is it, I'll ask more questions if I'll have any :P

Thanks a bunch, and hope you have a merry Christmas/Hanukkah/anything else celebrated during this time of the year,

Dor

NB. I know this makes me an ass hole but I really do need answers urgently :/ I have to figure out what I'm going to do before January 3rd, otherwise it might be too late for me :S

Last edited by Doreo : 12-24-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Doreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
5/11 sssss1849
Default Re: How to begin studying for a career in 3D Modelling?

1) Yes. You should get a BA.

2) No. You should get a BA.

3) A BA. In art, especially computer art.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:34 AM   #3
Doreo

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Thanks for the response!

Can you recommend any universities that teach BA courses in Computer Arts? I've been trying to find some but haven't found anything :/
Doreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:23 AM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
5/11 sssss1849

Your high school should have a counselor/advisor to help students transition out of high school and into college. S/he has a lot of information about colleges.
And there are these links you can use:
http://www.gamecareerguide.com/schools/
http://archives.igda.org/breakingin/resources.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson25.htm

Old 12-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

I'd also make sure that at least some of the courses required are traditional art courses. Can't make good 3D art without a solid foundation of color theory and lighting and all that good stuff.

Especially since the new fad is to hand paint textures rather than photosource. Of course that might not matter 4 years from now, but the traditional art knowledge will never go out of style.
Zooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
5/11 sssss1849

Zooch is right.