Get the latest Education e-news

Old 12-31-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
Hoodmazing

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7
Default Getting started But which one

Hi GCG, Im the type of person that those alot of research and not for just 1 thing multiple things at one time. basically i have 3 programs im wanting to learn 3ds max . Photoshop and unity3d, but i don't know where to start. I was wondering if a wise person could point me in the right direction first thanks/
Hoodmazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Lt Topcat

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14
Default Re: Getting started But which one

All three of those software’s are used in the game industry and have a good community to help newbie’s to learn them.
Once you learn ether 3dsmax or unity there other would be a lot easier to learn since there both 3d development packages and do basically same job just in different ways. I started learning 3ds first and since I was a student I got the software for free from Autodesk for three years, if you’re not a student I would advise unity first since it’s the basic version is free.
You can use Photoshop so you can throws some custom texture onto the 3d models you make in 3ds or unity rather than sticking with the limited once you get pre installed with them. if you already have it or don’t mind paying for it or alternatively use Gimp or paint.net which is both free.
When I started learning them I found www.3dbuzz.com very helpful, they have very good quality tutorial for beginners. Just make a free account and watch there many free videos. Lucky they have tutorials for 3ds, unity and Photoshop and many more software’s used in making games. They are good friends with Epic games (who made gears of war and unreal games) where they ran a competition a few years ago where the winner had his work looked at by one of the top guys at the studio.
Lt Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Hoodmazing

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Thank you so much.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

@Lt Topcat are you sure you're not confusing Unity or 3dsMax with Blender? 3dsMax is similar to Maya, and used to create 3d assets. Unity is primarily a game engine, so while it has its own basic animation editor it's best for arranging in game assets and assigning functionality to them via scripts. So they don't really do the same thing. Blender is both a game engine and full fledged modeling/animation software.

--

Photoshop, Unity, and 3dsMax are extremely useful to know, depending what area you want to focus in. Unity is good for creating game worlds by arranging assets and sculpting terrain, giving assets functionality via scripts, and allows you to playtest your game and make the necessary adjustments. Photoshop is good for creating textures, 2d art, and starting from Photoshop CS or later have 2d animation functionality as well. 3dsMax is good for creating 3d art assets.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these packages are packed with a ton of features, some of which you'll never use. Learn what you need to know to make what you want to make.

Unity tutorials: http://www.unity3dstudent.com/
Photoshop tutorials: http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop-tutorials/

Last edited by EvilLlama : 12-31-2011 at 11:32 AM.
EvilLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Hoodmazing

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLlama View Post
@Lt Topcat are you sure you're not confusing Unity or 3dsMax with Blender? 3dsMax is similar to Maya, and used to create 3d assets. Unity is primarily a game engine, so while it has its own basic animation editor it's best for arranging in game assets and assigning functionality to them via scripts. So they don't really do the same thing. Blender is both a game engine and full fledged modeling/animation software.

--

Photoshop, Unity, and 3dsMax are extremely useful to know, depending what area you want to focus in. Unity is good for creating game worlds by arranging assets and sculpting terrain, giving assets functionality via scripts, and allows you to playtest your game and make the necessary adjustments. Photoshop is good for creating textures, 2d art, and starting from Photoshop CS or later have 2d animation functionality as well. 3dsMax is good for creating 3d art assets.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these packages are packed with a ton of features, some of which you'll never use. Learn what you need to know to make what you want to make.

Unity tutorials: http://www.unity3dstudent.com/
Photoshop tutorials: http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop-tutorials/
Thanks man also, I have played around with Unity3d by creating the I3 map and trying to understand the workflow and for me to learn 3ds max i found something i enjoy doing with is building houses. the reason i am wanting to learn these programs is to be either a environmental Artist or level designer, i just wanted to throw that info out since i never mentioned it
Old 12-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodmazing View Post
Thanks man
Hood, "Sharon" is usually a female name, at least it is here in America.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Lol yeah I'm girl. No offense taken though.

If you want motivation to get started on a specific environmental art project, Blizzard's Student Art Contest theme is a small environmental diorama. http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/communi...s/student-art/

The deadline in January 15th. However, even you're not qualified to enter/don't make the deadline it's still a good way to focus yourself.

Also World of Level Design forums might provide further challenges/advice: http://www.worldofleveldesign.net/forums/
Old 12-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
Lt Topcat

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLlama View Post
@Lt Topcat are you sure you're not confusing Unity or 3dsMax with Blender?
You’re so right, how did I make such an overuse mistake.
I think I should just resign my job out of shame and go about to collage.

As Evil lama said unity is a game engine, it’s basically the software you put all the game art models/assist you make in 3dsmax or Photoshop to make a game. I found unity to be quite flexible in what type of game you can make. Luckily some popular game engines are free which is a big help for student trying to break into the industry.

I predominately you UDK (unreal dev kit) which is mostly designed to be a first person shooter game engine as well as being free too, also the crisis engine (also free) is supposed to be good yet haven’t tried it out yet.
Lt Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
Hoodmazing

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

lol im sorry if i offended you
Old 12-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
Hoodmazing

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

I've been doing alot more research recently so i believe i have my next steps planned out. tsloper, in the past i have read alot of your tips on your site and they helped me have a stronger vision of the industry so thanks for that "man" lol