Old 01-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Bmelvin

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Video Game Producer Questions

Hello all,

I'm a young college student who aspires to be a video game producer someday. I am currently close to obtaining my Associates of Science and then will be studying business for my B.A. My best friend is going for video game programming as well. ONE DAY, we would like to make our own company after getting some years of experience in the field. However, I have some questions about my career choice. For one, does anyone know if there is a college that has any specialized classes that relate to video game production? Yes, I have read about the roles and such of my career choice, but I was just wondering if and where I can take more specialized courses and what majors pertain the best to this profession?

My second question is what types of programming would be useful for me to at least learn some? That way I can have a little background in programming.

Third, what career choice is more suited to rise through the ranks to become a producer? QA? Marketing? I'm asking about the careers that are not design/programming ones.

Also, one of my bosses at my current job used to work in the video game industry and he has tried to stray me away from my dream. He says it is quite hard to get in the industry and that extra languages are needed. Can anyone confirm his ideas?

Thanks for your time! Any other information you might think is useful to pass along to me pertaining to video game production would be appreciated.

Last edited by Bmelvin : 01-05-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882
Default Re: Video Game Producer Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmelvin View Post
1. does anyone know if there is a college that has any specialized classes that relate to video game production?
2. I was just wondering if and where I can take more specialized courses and what majors pertain the best to this profession?
3. My second question is what types of programming would be useful for me to at least learn some? That way I can have a little background in programming.
4. Third, what career choice is more suited to rise through the ranks to become a producer? QA? Marketing? I'm asking about the careers that are not design/programming ones.
5. Also, one of my bosses at my current job used to work in the video game industry and he has tried to stray me away from my dream. He says it is quite hard to get in the industry and that extra languages are needed. Can anyone confirm his ideas?
6. Any other information you might think is useful to pass along to me pertaining to video game production would be appreciated.
1. Yes, someone knows.

2. Basically, you need to learn about project management, personnel management, and standard business world practices. If you get a business degree, you might have an opportunity to take courses like that. No need to beat your head against a wall looking for a special school just for those courses. But sometimes experts will offer one-day seminars in topics like that, through local schools' extended ed programs or through organizations like the Learning Annex.

3. Whatever kind you want. The simpler the better, at least so you can get basic concepts down. See what your school has to offer.

4. Yes, and yes. Those are both OK. I know people who've taken both routes. Read FAQ 42 on my site (see sig).

5. No. His ideas are wrong. When he tells you "extra languages are needed," he's being a total wacko. Either he assumes you're going to be a programmer, or he assumes you're going to fly all around the world to countries where nobody speaks English and there are no translators.

6. Read http://www.igda.org/games-game-february-2006 in addition to FAQ 42.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Carnegie Mellon University offers a masters in Creative Management and Entertainment Technology, both of which are really good for aspiring producers. A bonus of the MET is you get a lot of hands team experience and teaches you enough about the basic areas so you can "plug the holes" so to speak. Grad school is a 2 year commitment and pricey, so try for an internship or associate producer position first.

Programming a Tetris, Snake, Pong or Breakout/Arkanoid clone should cover most of the basic programming concepts you'll need to know.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Bmelvin

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Tsloper-

Thanks a lot! I know why you're labeled the title you are . I will check into the links now. And yes, thanks, I was starting to fret a bit about these questions but not so much anymore!

EvilLlama-

And thanks to you too . I will get in contact with these programs and see if it is for me - I am pretty unbiased when it comes to what schools I attend.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

If you're serious about getting into the games industry, you should look to attend conferences and meet people who do what you want to do. The entire conference process is a major learning experience, and I'm certain you'll find that almost everyone will disagree with your professor (and more importantly, give a realistic view on the industry and your specific field).
Old 03-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Destin Bales

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss24

Hi BMelvin,

Take a look at www.ineedtomakegames.com

Your boss does not sound well informed on the requirements of game development.

Best,

Destin
Old 08-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
inches

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14

The game industry is quite hard, no matter how you slice it. Somehow, your boss ended up no longer in it. He may have hard feelings for whatever happened.

You'll find the things you really love in life by continuing down the road you choose even after everybody else is pointing in a different direction.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882

Quote:
Originally Posted by inches View Post
Somehow, your boss ended up no longer in it. He may have hard feelings for whatever happened.
Inches, did you happen to see the date on that original post? Please don't continue necroing seven-month-old threads. While your comments are good so far, you're replying to long-dead discussions. Closing.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
Closed Thread