Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
raiderfan4eva

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11
Default community college?

since schools like full sail, UAT and Guildhall at SMU are only 21 month programs does this mean there community colleges? because im starting to get confused is the only "real" "game" college digipen (which is a 4 year school)? why do so many people prefer digipen over other game colleges? i also do not understand how Guildhall at SMU and fullsail got to becoming prestigious game colleges, how did that happen?
raiderfan4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Liquid-Laughter

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

I'm pretty sure most of those places you named are vocational schools. Basically,as far as I'm aware, a vocational school is a more focused study that gives you the ability to go into the world and get a job. Most vocational schools give you the same level of education as a bachelor's degree, but the credits are kind of hard to transfer. A community college is a government funded college, so they'll be cheaper than a school like UAT or Full Sail, but won't be as focused on something like digital media, and won't come with the reputation some of these schools come with.

As for their rep...I don't know why those schools are so big either. There are plenty of other colleges I've heard have great programs, such as Texas A&M and Otis (that's where I want to go.)
Liquid-Laughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:41 AM   #3
raiderfan4eva

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

thankz for bringing up otis liquid looks very interesting ive been looking at it for a while now lol... vocational school huh, so it only offers an associates degree right? you cant get a batchlers degree at full sail or UAT? and since its only 21 months long after you graduate are you suppose to switch to another college thats 4 years long (like the community college system)? because i really dont wanna be stuck with just and associates degree... in tha gaming industry..
Old 02-28-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Full Sail is a Bachelors Degree in Science so basically a computer science degree. The reason that full sail has such a good rep is become they listen to their advisory committee which means that they change for the way that the industry wants them to. Also they are one of the few schools listed in the IGDA Academic SIGs list of who is doing it right. So the industry tells other schools to look at full sail because they are doing it right. Does that mean the school is perfect no.

And you wouldn't need to go to another college after full sail. Plus the credits sometimes have a hard time transferring.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
raiderfan4eva

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

Quote:
And you wouldn't need to go to another college after full sail. Plus the credits sometimes have a hard time transferring.
say for instance i wanted to get a masters after my bachelors (assuming i graduate from full sail), how would i go about doing that if its not possible at full sail and if its hard to transfer credits to another school>?