Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
Maccd

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss17
Default To all people in the gaming industry

1.What is your opinion of the current consoles (PS3, Xbox, Wii)
of today? How do you feel about the current chances that the big three (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo) are taking? (Ex the Wii U)

2.What do you think of the new 3D trend going on in gaming. Do you think it will be something that will last for a while(like 5 years or more?).

I may add more later

(Note: I really need these answered it for a school project.)
Maccd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Maccd

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss17
Default Re: To all people in the gaming industry

Can anyone please answered these?
Maccd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
Tutoriaali

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

My views as a follower of the industry's professional side.
Trying to keep this short (Everything is debatable ofcourse)

1. In my opinion Sony's first miss step was placing the PS3 prices too high (correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under impression that this was due to adding the blueray-capabilities to original PS3). This gave Xbox 360 even more wind as it was launched almost a year earlier with titles in par with what had been a PS standard. Keeping the price high has discouraged many developers, even Konami has been looking for loopholes in their contract to get ever-so-awesome MGS-series to other platforms.

Nintendo is it's own case, as Wii actually brought them back to the game but I still don't feel comfortable comparing Nintendo to Sony or Microsoft since the main battle seems to be between these two. Nintendo's strength is ofcourse licensed titles (Metroid, Kirby is also making a huge comeback in popularity if you look at the releases, and oh also some guy named Mario?). They're the constant at Nintendo, compare it to Master Chief on Xbox. You wanna play Halo, you buy the box, you wanna enjoy shrooms and plumbing, you buy the Nintendo. So Nintendo's base is strong as is also it's share on handheld market.

Here we get back to the second miss step for the Sony, I see them reaching too far. Looks like they adapted in their gaming apartment their corporate wide ideology of widespread interest of serving more than just one crowd (which is normaly good) In this case it meant making more games that depend on previous title success, such as Guitar Hero titles , Rock Band and variations etc. Remember that these titles are not PS exclusive, thus it doesn't actually promote the idea of HAVING to own PS3 to be able to play games that you like (compare this to the forementioned Halo/Super Mario effect on Xbox and Wii)

Still, Sony is a huge company, so basically it means that if it loses the interest of (in a lack of a word) true gamers, it's just going to go after the Casual Gamer group. This could already be true, but who knows about Sony's intentions

2. I see 3D trend as same as the "use your body to play" trend which came with the Wii. Now we have body2play games on all 3 consoles (with Kinect being most interesting but pricey) YET still under half of the games are actually made with this capability in mind (see many Wii games that only use the Wiimotes abilities for basic attack or such)

I think this will be the case with 3D for years, as it is still expensive to buy all the needed stuff to really enjoy it. But I'm also sure that all these new innovations will form a sort of standard in 2 decades.

I hope you find my views helpful!
Tutoriaali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2254

I don't think 3D will take off. It has barely made a dent at home in the movie market. Saying that, games did push the HD market a bit as more people were buying HD TVs for games.

Sony are lagging behind MS and Nintendo. Their Move controller didn't take off as well as the Kinect (which was actually a surprise) and the console doesn't really have a killer feature. MS are doing well with the Kinect and Live whereas Nintendo are using the console as a platform for their games IP.

It be interesting to see how the PS Vita will do for Sony.

Last edited by yaustar : 01-25-2012 at 03:22 PM.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote