Old 02-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
timlaw347

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss10
Default Games Design

Hi there,

In september I plan to take this course to gain experience in the correct field of game design:

http://brisbane.qantm.com/en-gb/course/2488/

If I already have an 'idea', and already am a composer as well with a good idea of what needs to be done in game creation, so this would be a good course to undertake wouldn't it, to be able to succeed and progress? Seeing as though the major areas cover:

Character Designer
Composer
Games Designer
Script Writer
Games Tester
Concept Artist
Level Designer
Environment Artist
Project Manager
Quality Assurance

Some feedback would be great
timlaw347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:54 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2272
Default Re: Games Design

What is their graduation rate? How many were hired into desired roles?

IMO, it looks too much like a jack of all trades course.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
timlaw347

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
What is their graduation rate? How many were hired into desired roles?

IMO, it looks too much like a jack of all trades course.
Thanks for the response, but even though it 'seems' like a jack of all trades course, it is suited to my career path desire after more thought.

I am already a composer, have character design ideas, and already have a script/story on the go and I am sure it will be something that makes things happen. Most likely because I am a positive person and will make it happen.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2272

It teaches some of Design, Programming and Art in 24 months. Will it go in depth enough to get get you to the standard needed to get into the industry within one of those areas?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
in 24 months. Will it go in depth enough
QFT. A 2-year degree is definitely not enough.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
timlaw347

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
QFT. A 2-year degree is definitely not enough.
Ok, so the time is not enough, it is a good thing for people to help clear that up for me.

However, if you have the time and the attitude to go further within yourself, that in itself will take you forward along with the people who want to work with you, free or paid. That funny word passion is relevant there right? Do you know the people that I will be asking to come on board?

Companies 'might' notice your skills in the interim. Key word might thats why its outlined. Everywhere I go on the net in forums, including this one, you always have the ones that tell you you can't get there. They dissect what you have asked and toss its salad.

Is that 'help'? Is that wanting to give someone 'good information'? Or is that just being a downright pr#ck?
Old 02-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlaw347 View Post
if you have the time and the attitude to go further within yourself, that in itself will take you forward along with the people who want to work with you, free or paid. That funny word passion is relevant there right?

Companies 'might' notice your skills in the interim. Key word might thats why its outlined.
Anything is possible, but if you want to maximize your chances, you'll get a four-year degree (assuming you are fresh out of high school or not yet out of high school), and you'll work at building a solid portfolio.

Attitude is definitely important.
Hoping is okay, but hoping won't get you there.
There are okay ways to try for the thing you want to accomplish, and there are better ways.

We can't tell you everything in these posts, and our posting links to fuller information elsewhere (like the articles on my site, and on IGDA.org, for instance) is not laziness or snottiness on our part. You need to realize that since it's your life, it's up to you to read, and research, and read more, and think, and have a good attitude towards learning and growing. It will take time.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
timlaw347

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
Anything is possible, but if you want to maximize your chances, you'll get a four-year degree (assuming you are fresh out of high school or not yet out of high school), and you'll work at building a solid portfolio.

Attitude is definitely important.
Hoping is okay, but hoping won't get you there.
There are okay ways to try for the thing you want to accomplish, and there are better ways.

We can't tell you everything in these posts, and our posting links to fuller information elsewhere (like the articles on my site, and on IGDA.org, for instance) is not laziness or snottiness on our part. You need to realize that since it's your life, it's up to you to read, and research, and read more, and think, and have a good attitude towards learning and growing. It will take time.
It certainly will take time, and it will be time well spent.

Last edited by timlaw347 : 02-06-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
ThinkBig_:)

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

There is this thing with hope...it has this jojo-effect. Hoping everything will be fine can quickly turn into the opposite when you realise everything is going down, it will be a good experience for yourself, cause you will see how your personality will change into a more responsible one, cause I think those guys at brisbane... they have seen tones of people just like you, they will support you, but you have to get to the personality that I mentioned earlier. The subjects will be easy to understand, but you will have to inspire yourself on and on to the point where you want to go! It will be hard, but I think you have the stubborness to do so! So theres my question. Why do you want feedback when I absolutely get the feeling that you have already decided to do so? Why not just DO IT!

The main thing is, no matter where you are, what you are doing, what quality that school is, I dont now...its you who makes the decisions who will lead you to the point where you want to come. And do remember failure is allways an option in live...not the best final words I guess

PS.: I am sorry if I was to aggressive, but you see I am really loving Live Internet and Video Games, and I excuse my bad english if there is any
ThinkBig_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
Phyllis2011you

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

I have learned a lot of practical things, thank you!
Phyllis2011you is offline   Reply With Quote