Old 03-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
JustOneWillingSoul

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default A couple specific questions on breaking into the VG industry

Hello all,

I'm certain the "I'm just starting out trying to break into the industry" post has been done to death here, so I'm going to refine this post to a few specific, pressing questions the answers to which will hopefully set me on course in the best direction.

Here is a very quick background on me for reference:
-BS in The Music Industry from Northeastern University (Summa Cum Laude)
-Certificate from Berklee College in Studio Production
-Certificate from Berklee College in Music for Film, Television and Video Games
-SAT/ACT Tutor with Academic Approach
-I have a small portfolio that I need to increase, mostly featuring my first forays into various endeavors including cut-scene scoring, commercial scoring, symphonic arrangement and production of classic video game music, and a design document, et alia, for a text-based game I'm working on as my major project right now
-Interested in game audio/music, game design/development, writing (comprehensive), and programming (in that order)
-Not interested in graphic design, production or management

1. Should I pursue additional coursework specific to video games (e.g., game design), or is it a better use of my time to just teach myself and create an excellent portfolio?

2. I like to be a "jack of all trades" and know at least a little bit about everything that goes into game design. In creating my portfolio and enhancing my skill-set, do you think it would be better to be as comprehensive as possible in terms of what I learn and can present, or would I be better served to focus in on a more specific area (probably the audio aspect given my background) and present depth in a particular ambit?

3. I have amassed more literature than I can ever hope to get through regarding the video game industry. Any specific reading recommendations that people have found particularly outstanding or appropriate for someone just trying to break into the industry (something very specific and with serious depth)?

4. I do not currently have my own website. How high up on the priority list would creating a website be, and any recommendations in terms of content that would be looked upon favorably by potential employers? Also, is it worth shelling out the extra cash to get hosting that does not require advertisements, or would a site on a free-hosting service be looked upon without much discredit?

That's all for now. While I appreciate all feedback I would ask that answers that amount to "do both" or "read everything" be withheld--I already understand the extent to which those answers apply, but unfortunately time is finite and I am interested in making good decisions in prioritizing in order to achieve results in the near-term.

This forum is a fantastic resource for someone in my situation and I'm glad to be here and to have the opportunity to utilize it!

~Matthew Waldron
mwaldron.videogames@yahoo.com
JustOneWillingSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss1786
Default Re: A couple specific questions on breaking into the VG industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOneWillingSoul View Post
0. Here is a very quick background on me for reference:
a-Degree + certificates
b-I have a small portfolio that I need to increase,
c-Interested in game audio/music, game design/development, writing (comprehensive), and programming (in that order)
d-Not interested in graphic design, production or management
1. Should I pursue additional coursework ... or create an excellent portfolio?
2. I like to be a "jack of all trades" ... do you think it would be better to be as comprehensive as possible... or would I be better served to focus?
3. Any specific reading recommendations
4.a. I do not currently have my own website. How high up on the priority list would creating a website be
4.b.Also, is it worth shelling out the extra cash to get hosting that does not require advertisements, or would a site on a free-hosting service be looked upon without much discredit?
0.a. Good.
0.b. What's stopping you?
0.c. Shorten the list. Audio/music is tops. Focus there.
0.d. Lengthen that list.
1. Portfolio.
2. Better to focus. The fact that you have those other interests/talents is fine, but to get a job you have to have focus.
3. My website (see sig, click the yellow box).
4.a. Very.
4.b. No. A free site is okay, as long as the ads don't get in the way of seeing your portfolio.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Destin Bales

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOneWillingSoul View Post

3. I have amassed more literature than I can ever hope to get through regarding the video game industry. Any specific reading recommendations that people have found particularly outstanding or appropriate for someone just trying to break into the industry (something very specific and with serious depth)?
www.ineedtomakegames.com

Hope it helps!

Best,

Destin
Destin Bales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
JustOneWillingSoul

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Tom and Destin,

Thanks for your replies. Tom, I've used your site many times before; the nicely categorized organization is great when you have something specific you want to get some color on. Destin, I'm checking out your site for the first time and it looks excellent; I'm sure I'll find great use for it going forward.

Tom, based on your emphatic "yes" on creating a website, I'm going to get started on that immediately. I've created a website before with Dreamweaver and made simple graphics with Illustrator and Photoshop, but I'm certainly far from speedy or outstanding at it.

Any recommendations for hosting? I've heard good things about Wordpress, and I imagine a template-based service would be quicker and easier for my purposes.

Also, any thoughts on attracting traffic to a blog/portfolio website? Advice on content?

Thanks again!

Matthew Waldron
mwaldron.videogames@yahoo.com
JustOneWillingSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss2246