Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
CollegeWriter19

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8
Default Advice on game journalism?

I'm a college student and I need some advice for a journalism career career. I love the entertainment industry as a whole. Video Games, movies, tv shows, celebrities, and music. I am currently in school for journalism and I just need help what kind of journalist I should be. I've already looked into entertainemt journalism and I live that. Writing articles/pieces about the entertainment industry looks like an awesome job. But what do entertainment journalists focus on. Do they just focus on being on the red carpet all the time or writing articles about celebrities all day? Do entertainemt journalists write articles about Video games, movies, tv shows, music, and other celebrity stuff. Should I become a freelance journalist? I guess my dream job is to write articles or do reports for ign in New York or another entertainment company with an office. Maybe a staff position?

Or maybe I should try games journalism? But dont entertainment journalist write about video games too? I'm a gamer and I would love to write about the newest games or movies coming out or do reviews.
CollegeWriter19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1784
Default Re: Advice on game journalism?

Suggestions:
1. Read a lot of entertainment journalism. Read, observe, analyze.
2. Talk to your professors. Ask them these same questions. We here on this site only know about games (mostly just about making games -- not journalism, and certainly not journalism about non-game forms of entertainment).
3. Write. In other words, "just do it." Write reviews, write business analysis, write! Figure out what you enjoy and what you're good at and what you want to get better at.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
TCurtis
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss62

As someone who currently works in games journalism, I'd say your best bet is to just put your skills into practice. I got my start writing a personal blog about games, discussing everything from the games i enjoyed, to my thoughts on the latest industry controversy. Even though very few people actually read what I was writing, it really helped me hone my skills and helped me think critically about the industry i wanted to work in.

In addition, try to reach out for an internship if you can! Learning from working professionals is an excellent way to learn about your dream job, and sometimes it can even lead to a full-time gig! Send some emails to your local publications and perhaps one of them can offer you an internship.

Hope this helps!
TCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
debbiek1945

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Starting a blog and writing something that went viral got some paid work for me.
debbiek1945 is offline   Reply With Quote