Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Game Career Guide > Getting Started
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Cliffore

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default [Help appreciated] A business degree any use?

Due to family issues, I went ahead and applied at an online university for a business AA degree.
Before this, I went to an arts high school and spent most of my time in the Creative Writing conservatory and it wasn't until recently did I come to the conclusion that I wanted to get a job in the gaming industry.

I'll be honest. I'm not a business person. In fact I regret it, to be honest, but I guess knowing a bit about accounting and the economy is helpful.
I'm a writer, one that has filled dozens of notebooks and word documents with stories and worlds of my own. I live in them, I think of them every day.
I didn't go for a literature degree because most people told me it was useless and that business was more general and that I'd have a wider amount of choices when it came to settling for a job.

It wasn't until recently that I realized I really wanted a job in the gaming industry. I've always been a major gamer ever since I was young and I also saw an appropriate job in a current well-played game which was extremely inspiring and almost perfect (oh, if only I already had several degrees and wasn't this young. It'd be gone by the time I graduate).

Character design. Creating a character, making the lore, expanding the world - I would be extremely content if I were to have a job like this, but I don't even know where to start. Where does such interests lie in? Game production? Programming? What do I do?
Also, another major question would be if it's necessary to learn computer science or not. I don't think I'd really like that. I'm just terrible at math.

I'd really appreciate some advice as this is my dream job.

Last edited by Cliffore : 08-09-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Cliffore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1825
Default Re: [Help appreciated] A business degree any use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffore View Post
1. [Help appreciated] A business degree any use?
2. Due to family issues, I went ahead and applied at an online university for a business AA degree.
3. I'm not a business person. In fact I regret it, to be honest, but I guess knowing a bit about accounting and the economy is helpful.
4. I'm a writer, one that has filled dozens of notebooks and word documents with stories and worlds of my own. I live in them, I think of them every day. I didn't go for a literature degree because most people told me it was useless
5. and that business was more general and that I'd have a wider amount of choices when it came to settling for a job.
6. Character design. Creating a character, making the lore, expanding the world - I would be extremely content if I were to have a job like this,
7. but I don't even know where to start. Where does such interests lie in? Game production? Programming? What do I do?
8. Also, another major question would be if it's necessary to learn computer science or not. I don't think I'd really like that. I'm just terrible at math.
1. Yes, absolutely of use. But it depends on you, your aspirations, your interests.
2. Business yes. AA no. I'm trying to say that an AA degree is less than what most employers want to see (depending on what country you live in).
3. Then you should not study business. It's as simple as that. Read http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson40.htm
4. Are you of Chinese or Jewish ancestry? Because that's the kind of advice Chinese and Jewish parents give their kids all the time.
5. Sure. It also has applications to games - for producers, managers, executives...
6. Well, the game designer decides who the characters are and what the lore will be. Artists design the characters' look. You're talking about being a "writer." Read http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson32.htm
7. You should get a writing degree, and you should look for writing jobs.
8. You need to learn about the different jobs in games. Read these:
http://gamecareerguide.com/getting_started/
http://www.skillset.org/games/careers/profiles/
http://archives.igda.org/breakingin/career_paths.htm (site may be down now)
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson7.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Cliffore

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

I'm of Chinese decent, yes. >.> And I live in California, United States. Well, of course I'm thinking of transferring after I'm done with that AA degree.
And thank you very much for the links. Do game industries really want literature degrees though? :\
Cliffore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffore View Post
Do game industries really want literature degrees though? :\
Literature degrees would be unusual and unexpected for programmers or artists, but would not be unusual for designers or writers.
If literature is an area of high interest for you, you should pursue it as far as you're able and want to.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote