Old 09-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
sigiel

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default tv licencing

hello,

I would like to create a game based on a TV show, but I do not know who to contact, or how to negotiate the Licences of the shows.

Another point is to protect my idea when I will submit the project to the owners of the licence.

My idea is quite original and I think it's a very good one, I would be very crossed if the owner of the shows steal my idea and run it on it's own...

The problem is that the concept of the game is really linked to the TV shows itself and I don't know if I can copyright the idea as it has the TV shows material in it.

I have already almost secure financing, only if I do get the right of the TV Shows. it's quite important.

Any idea ?

Thanks you.
sigiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1849
Default Re: tv licencing

First, have a development company that is able to create your game lined up and ready to go once funding is in place (in other words, "be somebody who can actually make the game").

Then, call the owner of the TV show IP (on the telephone) and in your best businesslike manner, make your pitch.

You are right, you own nothing. You cannot copyright or patent or trademark your idea. But you can make it clear when you phone that you are sharing the idea for the purpose of working on it with the IP owner.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1849

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
Then, call the owner of the TV show IP (on the telephone) and in your best businesslike manner, make your pitch.
Better yet - request a meeting so you can make your pitch in person. And be ready to show them something. They need to be able to visualize the game, so show them concept art or storyboard or something.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
sigiel

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

I can't believe there is no protection available...
There must be.

It's sad cause I can have the financing only if I get the licence ...
It's the snake eating it's own tail...

Well thanks? anyway I will have to review the scale down and make a semi demo that will only show the concept.

As for contacting directly the owner, (Fox Interactive) I'm trying to get that number, but it's kinda hard to get.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1849

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigiel View Post
1. I can't believe there is no protection available...
There must be.
2. It's sad cause I can have the financing only if I get the licence ...
3. As for contacting directly the owner, (Fox Interactive) I'm trying to get that number, but it's kinda hard to get.
1. But you don't own anything! I recommend you read the book "Dealmaking in the Film & Television Industry," by Litwak. Read the chapter on page 18.

2. That's "sad"?? It's sad that you said it's sad! Because if you can get the money if you get the license, there's hope. Don't say it's "sad," because that's sad!

3. Aw, then I guess you can't do it. (If you can't manage to make a phone call, you're not the kind of person who can do a business deal.)

Old 09-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
sigiel

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

It's not making the phone call that is hard but finding the right number.

That is the whole point of the original post.

And I did some research, and found out that I do have indeed some protection, thank to the european union law on intellectual property....

but thanks anyway.

Last edited by sigiel : 09-09-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

Don't you have to pay the IP owner of TV sure to have the rights to use their IP?

You can't copyright an idea as it isn't tangible. You can copyright the implementation of the idea and you can potentially patent the idea itself or have them sign and NDA before you pitch the idea.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:00 AM   #8
sigiel

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

no I have to pay them to use "commercially." i can do what ever i want if it's not "commercial". it a stretch but a good lawyer can make it stick...

Anyway, it doesn't matter the "code" is mine. and a video game is a lot of code
so I can protect the code and the basic idea of the game.

and thank for the NDA idea, that is a good idea that did not see.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1849

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigiel View Post
1. no I have to pay them to use "commercially." i can do what ever i want if it's not "commercial".
2. it a stretch but a good lawyer can make it stick...
3. and thank for the NDA idea, that is a good idea that did not see.
1. Wrong. Using someone's IP, whether commercially or not, can get you sued.
2. If that's what your lawyer says, he's not a good lawyer. What does your lawyer say?
3. If you take a look at that book I cited, you'll see how the TV/film industry regards NDAs. Whether a film/TV exec will be willing to sign your NDA, to hear your idea about using his IP, is a doubtful question.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:05 AM   #10
sigiel

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

No you are wrong.

The code is mine. and if your book contradict this fact, then I will certainly not read it. and it will not be the first book in the world to be inaccurate either. and this is all the protection I need, I don't need NDA, because the code will be mine and copyrighted to me. without there agreement I will not be able to publish it, but they will not be able to use it as well.

Second I did law school myself. and one thing I have learn while doing so is that law isn't about copyright (in this case) is all about manipulating the numerous past decision judge made... it's call 'jurisprudence".

I trust my lawyer, because to be honest there are maybe not the biggest firm in the world but they never let me down either. and I have no point in doubting what they are telling me. furthers more it a very well known international firm that have without a doubt proven beyond any doubt that they are good at what they do.

Now I did find out the number and the person who I should talk to. So really thank for the tips that led me there.

Last edited by sigiel : 09-12-2012 at 05:11 AM.