Get the latest Education e-news

Old 11-17-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
Mont

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default College?

I live in Indiana and the only colleges that I've heard of for Game Art and Design majors are ITT Tech and Huntington University, but I'm pretty sure that neither of those schools are appraised for their Game programs.

I know that there is the Art Institutes in Chicago, IL that has Game Art and Design, but I'm a 21st Century Scholar so I'd lose that for going out of state and I'm not sure how I would be able to afford to go out of state unless the school had a type of full ride scholarship or a scholarship that pays for most of the expenses.

What should I do?
Mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1871
Default Re: College?

You should go to school in your own state. You don't need a "Game Art and Design" major. What game career are you most interested in? Artist? Get an art degree. Designer? Study a little of everything.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/epi...-game-designer

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
JoJoDavis

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

One tip. Check out some of the traditional art and design colleges. Many of them are adding computer graphics options that lead to gaming careers.

Good luck!

JoJo
JoJoDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Mont

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Thanks a lot for the link! I learned a lot of stuff that I had not even thought about, and it'll help me choose a college. So would it be a good idea to dual major in computer science and animation (or computer graphics and computer science depending on the college)? (Sorry if the question seems dumb, but I want to be sure)
Mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Bigbeef

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

I would recommend taking online classes.

When I was in the military, online classes were pretty much my only option.

I recently got out of the military, and there were no universities near where I am living that teach anything to do with gaming. So I looked online and found quite a few online colleges that have very specific courses in game programming or game design.

The online courses may cost slightly more then normal brick and mortar schools, but you save money on gas/transportation and I find them more flexible when it comes to assignments, giving you more free time for a part time job, or practicing the skills you're learning.

The only argument I've heard besides cost is the "I like being around other people to ask questions".

This is true, but imo, only to a certain extent. Especially since we live in the age of social media/emails/forums/web conferences, etc. In my experience in online schools, I haven't felt "alone" or lost.

In the end you get the same piece of paper, and you still have to back up your diploma with your own portfolio to show off what you know.

I would also add that the universities in my area that had some sort of "tech" or "visual design" program, they weren't really about "gaming" specifically. You might get sucked into a degree plan that only gives you a handful of courses that actually tie into your gaming career desire. For example, you might get a few classes in programming languages, but then you also get classes in Networking, hardware engineering, business systems, things like that. Things that might have little or nothing to do with your intended career choice.

Or maybe you take an art degree path, and you get some 3D modeling or photoshop classes that would be nice, but then you also end up with classes like oil painting, basket weaving and photography, which might have nothing to do with what you want.

I'm by no means an expert, but I personally wanted to get into a college that had as many Video Game Oriented classes as possible, and had the least amount of side fluff. So I guess all I'm trying to say is don't settle for a degree plan with classes that are "sorta whatcha want". Go all out and find the university or online college that offers the most amount of classes in gaming you can find.

Last edited by Bigbeef : 11-25-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Bigbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1871

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont View Post
would it be a good idea to dual major in computer science and animation (or computer graphics and computer science depending on the college)?
It might be a good idea, IF:
a. You are passionate about both programming and art;
b. Your decision grid says that the dual major is better than majoring in one and minoring in the other.

Majors: http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson34.htm
Passions: http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson40.htm
Decisions grids: http://sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Bigbeef

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

On a side note....

@Tsloper. Thank you for sloperama.com. The site has been very interesting to read through and it had tons of information I found useful. To put up that amount of content is no easy feat. Thank you for your work. I greatly appreciate it.

-Nick

Last edited by Bigbeef : 11-25-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Bigbeef is offline   Reply With Quote