Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #1
HelloKitty

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Smile J. Portnow's Game Design Challenge - missed the mark, but what do you think of this?

Ok... ok so I missed th mark on submission, but I started thinking about it and well would like to know what you guys think.

Firstly, the brief was to:
  • reinvent archetypes
  • create new abilities
  • require a strong community component
  • create a brand new way of playing the game

Well after deliberation this is what I came up with...

I starting thinking about the game lemmings, how you rely on other characters to make it through a maze and thought why don't we apply this to how we play mmo's.

Characters in this mmo will be able to meld with other characters to produce a super monster (think summons in final fantasy and splicing from breath of fire 3). This means that the game would create a strong community presence because players will rely on each other to verse monsters and will do this as one being. This is not to say that they can't go solo. As a solo character they can build up their characteristics etc, however they will need to be in super mode for certain areas in the game.

super mode works on the types of characters that meld. it takes the characters stats and adds it to the mix to produce an awesome monster. For example if you get characters with strong ice magic and others with health combining they will produce a monster with strong ice damage and auto health magic on that character. If done correctly splicing could stop the 'uselessness' of certain classes. This is because all classes have a weight in in how they perform in the greater scheme of things. It may also give players extra incentive to build up skills and choose from the range of characters to create a rounded class group with their friends.

In different areas of the game there maybe different skills required for successful splicing - for example in 'volcano mountain of doom' magic characters will need strong ice skills, weapons -bows and health- reflect, however the players can only obtain these attributes once they are a certain level and say pay for the use of them etc etc. There may be rules only allowing certain exp levels to meld or if the disparity is to high the melding will not last long. This could be a cool way to play the game as you can summons some big bastard to fight and its a collative collaboration.

There would be select taverns with notice boards for certain class types to join x hunt and you can join groups this way. there will also be stats on what is required to produce what - secret characters meld info obtained through lots of monies

note when a character is in solo mode they will have basic abilities, fighting, magic, etc but be higher in the chosen field and get abilities in this area that are not accessible to other classes, for solo mode and group mode.

Anyway the 4 classes are your basic types

Spits - these are healing/assist magic types - and all basic abilities
Crons - these are black/disable magic types - and all basic abilities
Raths - these are strong weapon ability types - and all basic abilities
Annchs - these are strong amour types - and all basic abilities

This type of game play allows for ever an ever changing platform, as the developers can put new terrains in the game that will require a certain super monster type to get through it or a collections of super monster types working together. imagine 300 people (10 super monsters) all fighting at once and when one super monsters powers deplete they break apart and can fight as individuals. there are endless possibilities with this concept.... let me know what you think.

Group battles just got more hardcore!!!!
HelloKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Demota

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss16

I'll be honest here. I think this is a bad idea. Having players meld with each other would be ridiculous and rules governing something as simple as movement would be a nightmare.

You also talk about melding and summoning like it's the same thing.

"Verse" is not a present tense version of the word "Versus", but you seem to be using it like that. "Versus" is a Latin word meaning "against". It is not a verb. Your writing style feels like rambling, and it lacks focus. It is difficult to clearly identify your ideas and you need to watch your capitalization and punctuation if you expect this design document to be taken seriously by a client.
Demota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
HelloKitty

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default thanks :)

Yes

I realize my writing is a bit chaotic, thanks.

What i meant by players' characters melding together is that they would create a monster that you have no control over. It acts on its own free will and would be influenced by inherited characteristics from the players.

I guess i was trying to use summoning, as an example of this type of game play. In Final fantasy 12 you can summon a monster in battle, but have no control over its actions.

Thanks for your opinion

Last edited by HelloKitty : 04-17-2008 at 09:04 AM.
HelloKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
jshockley

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss49

Honestly putting players together as one entity is a difficult task to do; if you've played warhawk they have the dropship, and you can rarely get someone to pick you up.
I would say come up with a solution in terms of what you think each player should be doing while they are melded together so that they don't feel like they are at the mercy of someone else. Think about it, is it really that fun to sit in the passenger seat? that's why everyone gets in the gunner seat first because there is something to do. just something to think about. also don't trip too much on the grammer thing because "game design is primarily an act of communication" :Alan Emrich. so as long as everyone knows what you're talking about you should be fine, but don't go off writing strategy guides with poor english.
Can't wait to see your next submission
jshockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Demota

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
Yes

I realize my writing is a bit chaotic, thanks.

What i meant by players' characters melding together is that they would create a monster that you have no control over. It acts on its own free will and would be influenced by inherited characteristics from the players.

I guess i was trying to use summoning, as an example of this type of game play. In Final fantasy 12 you can summon a monster in battle, but have no control over its actions.

Thanks for your opinion
I feel this is a major weakness. Think about it from the side of the players. They meld together, they create a monster they have no control over, then they just sit back and watch it fight, since they have no control over it until it dies and breaks apart. What happens to the player characters when it dies and breaks apart into the characters? Can they just meld again?

They're basically traveling to a combat site and watching a fight, and not directly participating in it.
Demota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

Hmm, I do like the idea of an enhanced teamwork concept, but if you're paying to play an MMO, why would you leave your characters and money up to chance?

I think something like if two warriors went back to back (Almost like Army of Two) it would be totally awesome if it Nullified Back Attacks completely, cut down on side attacks by half and cut the chance for criticals from enemies down a bit as well. Neat concept, I do think just executed improperly. Think about how many times in FF12 you watched in horror as the stupid monster died when it really could have done something to prevent its own demise. AI is normally not as smart compared to humans.

But I really do think you're on to something neat as a concept, just figure out what they can do together as a team. Although I do disagree with the fact it would solve the uselessness of certain classes. Think about this: A Mage melds with a Paladin, and it goes up against A Thief and a Healer. The Black Mage/ Paladin becomes a badass of Explosions and Defence with a little healing, while suddenly a Healer/Thief is essentially useless against them. There'd have to be some serious nerfs and balances in place to even remotely keep it fair. I would fear two Wizards anyday melding.

Keep it up though and don't give up!
Tim Edwards
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote