Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
feima

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Default Career advancement from programmer to Games producer / Designer

Hi guys , I currently considering a course of study switch to puruse my dream of working in the gaming industry.Since young i am passionate about games and asipire to be a game producer / Designer.

I done some research and most information gathered says that these 2 posts are usually not offered to fresh grads.People from QA usually moved up to fill these positions.

So my question is it better to attain a computer science / computer engineering degree and enter the industry as a programmer before working my way up after a few years of experience.

Or is it sufficient to just pursue any degree , and broaden knowledge in terms of arts , hummanities and apply for a job in game industry.

Are most games producers / Designers previously from programming? or at least have programming knowledge?

In front of me are 3 options
1) Purse RTIS BSc computer science degree in Digipen
2) Purse a integrated computer engineering / media, arts degree
3) Resume what i am studying which is not related to games industry and self learn programming and break into industry via route of a QA tester.

Please advise

Thank you

Lost sheep...
feima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

What are you currently studying?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
feima

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

I am currently reading Mechanical engineering with 2 more years to go , dont ask me why i chose it.

The content is incredibly boring.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

Quote:
Are most games producers / Designers previously from programming? or at least have programming knowledge?
There are not statistics. Some use to be programmers, artists, sound engineers, QA or some go straight in from other industries.

Since you find your current course boring, what would you like to study regardless of career choice? What would you enjoy?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
feima

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Living in such a practical and rigid society , i am from Singapore by the way ,
i realised many people forget about pursuing interests. Many of them just wants to pay the bills, doesnt really matter what they do for a living.

Well my interests lies in gaming and CG art in particular, I have taken courses on 3D animation , learning software like MAYA , but reckon that i am not talented enough to compete in the artistic field.

I intend to learn basics of game making, since now i decided to make a switch of career to the gaming industry.

If Programming knowledge can be my platform to enter the industry and eventually land me a job as games producer/Designer, i am willing to learn. It doesnt matter if i have to work a few years as a QA or programmer , because i think the experience is crucial to a producer.

In a nutshell ,I like problem solving , working as a team and working with people
Old 04-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Most of the producers I know started off as Testers, they have usually dabbled with programming but I don't believe any of them have ever had programming as a main role. QA to producer seems like a natural step to me. From understanding how a game should work, and pointing out flaws in existing games, to using that understanding to manage the creation of games. Really though, a producer should have some knowledge of most/all areas of game development. That allows them to plan ahead, and understand the complexity and time requirements of each task.

Designers are often grown from producers. Making the jump to designer tends to be a case of internal promotion. You're unlikely to get your first design job straight away. Companies like to make sure you have experience working with titles, before putting you in the spacious private office with all the next gen consoles & Projectors. After all "Anybody can have an idea", the trick of design is to have an idea that can be translated into something fun and profitable.

The path I'd recommend would go along the lines of
QA tester -> QA Lead / Associate producer -> Producer -> Designer

It really depends on how you feel about programming, if it really appeals to you, slot that in around the QA lead/Associate producer position, but I find that programmers and producers tend to have different personality types. I for example, would never consider a production role. Do remember to keep learning new things though. Level design & scripting for games is good practice for production and design roles, and can be easily learned during your spare time. Most of all, have fun!
Claxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claxon View Post
but I find that programmers and producers tend to have different personality types.
So that is why no one believes I am a programmer, because I have the producer personality type (or so I have been told countless times). And yes I to want to eventually be a producer, for some reason scheduling and managing is way to fun for me
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote