Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > More Careers
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
AcuraSpeed

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13
Default Recent college grad in desperate need of help (Associate Producer job)

Hi, I don't really know where to begin because I am so confused at this stage of my life, but I'll give it my best. I am graduating from a top-tier university next month (May) and am now looking for a job in the industry. For a little background - I have changed my career aspirations more times than I can count, and think I have finally settled on something. I had considered everything from medical school to management consulting, but for the majority of college I was set on going to law school. All went well, and I got into a good law school, but I thought - is this what you want to do for the next 40 years? Well, no it's not, so I made the complete foolish and naive choice to defer going to a great law school and making over 100k in another 3 years, in hopes of working with video games. I also passed up a few great jobs paying over 60k. I am probably a fool, but working with games is the only thing I can seriously see myself doing full-time for the next few decades. Well now you know how determined (or stupid) I am, let's move on.

I am interested in a variety of areas in gaming, most notably, design, production, and journalism. I know I can't jump into any of these right away, so my question is - what should I do? I really don't want to be a QA tester, because I need to pay my bills and student loans, plus I would like to use the fact that I have degree from a prestigious university. There is a HUGE developer right near where I live that has a job posting for an associate producer. Is it common for a college grad to get such a job? The listing says that they PREFER 1-3 years experience with at least one shipped titled. Is it still possible to get hired in lieu of this, since the experience is preferred? They also require a BA/BS, which I am looking for. However, I have submitted a resume and have not heard anything in over a week, so I am getting discouraged.

Can anyone help me out? Should I continue to go after decent-paying jobs like this that I am probably underqualified for, or should I humble myself, go into poverty, and be a tester? If I can't find a job, I am considering 2 options: First, I will be a QA tester and write freelance in my spare time, and hope something happens from that. Second, I might stay in school for another 2 years (which I really don't want to do) and get a second degree in Computer Science and be a programmer, since they seem to be the only ones that can get a job right after school. Programming is not my preference, but I know a little Java and do enjoy PC's, and if that's what it takes to work in the industry, so be it. I'm sorry to ramble for so long, I just really need help and with graduation rapidly approaching, I think I might be suffering from anxiety. Maybe I should have went to law school...ugh. HELP!
AcuraSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote