Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2008, 06:10 AM   #11
wobalisk

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

You said about adapting it into a computer game, but you want to publish it somewhere as well, why not design the game and find a Java programmer or Flash programmer to make it into a game for you. With Flash and Java you can put them on web pages and so simply putting it up on a website somewhere would be atleast a basic form of publishing, and also it would be easier to show at an interview because all you would need is an internet connection.

Just a suggestion.
wobalisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #12
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

By prototype I mean many pieces of looseleaf with marks on them for my gameboard, poker chips representing player tokens and notes that I'm sure will be found by archaeologists in the future and taken as some sort of scripture, for a rulebook.

It has already been mentioned it will require polish, so that is exactly what I shall do. My original idea involved a hexagon shaped paper punch and a lot less cutting on my part.

As for making it digital, since I don't have the skills personally, and the closest I know to a programmer is a first year computer science nerd, I decided actually making it on paper would be more fun, challenging and easier to test out the bugs of gameplay without worrying about the bugs of programming. It helps get your mind around the rules easier without going nuts.

However... I have no idea how hard flash is to use for a "newbie" like myself, nor how I would even be able to accomplish my idea from paper to digital form. I have basic ideas, but man, I'll try to be a bit less specific, and a lot more vague in future posts.

Heh, thanks for the advice though, I'll look into flash. Also... I found a program called RPG Maker 2000 online, but it's not in North America... and therefore pirated and translated. Therefore... a poor idea for a portfolio piece? I found it super easy to use and made a quick little sprite cutscene in minutes... but again, pirated = bad...

Thanks again!
Tim Edwards
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:01 AM   #13
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

Why not use GameMaker instead of RPG Maker?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #14
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

I checked it out before, but I suppose by that time I had already been used to RPG Maker, and the interface seemed simpler, but it also seemed to not be as versatile.

I suppose I can check that out again. Is there any programming involved? Also, I'm not sure if my board game will be able to be done in gamemaker. It can't be done in RPG Maker, but I was using that to make something else. The idea behind my game is like... uhh... A simplified Settlers of Catan, Meets Risk, Meets Chinese Checkers... I think! Thanks Yaustar!

Tim Edwards
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #15
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

I think there is a GUI event driven interface for game behaviour but there is also a scripting layer if you need more specific logic and behaviour.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #16
CKeene

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss80

RPG Maker 2k is outdated and now considered freeware.

You can license RPG Maker XP for $60 USD which gives you the right to sell any games you make with it. And yes, it has been professionally localized by Enterbrain so it's not an 'illegal copy'. The 'Postality Knights Edition' floating around on the net, however, is.

It's much easier to use than Game Maker, in my humble opinion, and the sprites are quite aesthetically pleasing. Overall it's a good way to represent your game design skills.

If you use it and need information, tips/tricks, or resources, let me know. I've been using the program since RPG Maker 95.

Edit to add: RPG Maker is extremely versatile; moreso than you would ever believe. If you know how to code in Ruby then you can make it do anything you want, but even if you don't there are tons of people who release custom battle systems, engine revamps, UI mods, mini-games, and lots of other things. I've seen people make platformers and FPS' in RPG Maker, and of course adventure games and every type of RPG you can imagine.

Also, who says you can't use RPG Maker to make your board game? Make a custom tileset that has the board tiles and custom sprites for the pieces. With a custom script (I bet someone's made one already) you could probably make it multi-player, too. And really you can do just about anything just using RPG Maker's Events system; no coding required.

PM me if you decide to pursue this and need any help with anything.

Last edited by CKeene : 05-11-2008 at 11:02 AM.
CKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:18 PM   #17
dreamshade

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss87

If one was to create a simple game with RPG Maker / Game Maker, how difficult would it be to add online capability for your created board game?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #18
CKeene

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss80

Just like any online game, you'd need your own dedicated server to host it. It's then a matter of creating the UI and scripting for the player to choose their avatar, track their progress, etc. Check out RMXP.org - it's the single best RPG Maker site. There are quite a few threads on online support.
CKeene is offline   Reply With Quote