Get the latest Education e-news

Old 05-23-2008, 06:08 AM   #1
Moe Jo.

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default Careers expo.

So today, I went to the national career expo in which had over two million students. I browsed for hours, looking at different university courses and I saw multiple Bachelor Degrees with names such as: 'Computer Game Design - 3 year course.' and 'Bachelors Degree in Games Design - 3 years.'

As great as these seem; coming from top notch Universities - the courses offer only that. Games Design. What if I go for this degree; attain it, apply for a job as a 'Games Designer' like the course intends - and become rejected as countless other people like me are only doing this one course?

I love to write and I love Science. I have received awards for skills in both. So I researched more, and realized that I can take a different degree which is multimedia based - with 2 majors selected. So I could pick Journalism and Games Design for example. That way if the whole Games Design thing fails, I have my writing to fall back on.

Furthermore, would I still have a chance of becoming a Games Designer doing Writing AND Games Design and multiple other things which are included (not majored) compared to someone who only does a course 'just' for Games Design?

Call me paranoid, I am just afraid in doing a course just based on one thing. I got told by the university people at the expo that employers like you to be knowledgeable in wider subjects. In my case, Writing and Science - along with Games Design included in the degree.

And I apologize if the school system I am explaining is hard to understand; I am Australian and unsure if Americans call their certificates and courses 'Bachelor Degrees'.

Cheers fellas.
Moe Jo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
toyoka

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss193

Well, I read that Game Design is best mixed with some other subjects (ie. philosophy, history, mythology, art, programming etc.) so, indeed, you are more "knowledgeable in wider subjects" and you are more likely to get hired. And also, it depends on the studio you're trying to get into. Some studios are, lets say, more "desperate" than others. And then again, other studios are reluctant to find unique game designers who have more than just the knowledge of game designing.
toyoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2254

If you can't get the job you want with this degree, what other job can you also get with the same degree?

The main problem I have with Games Design courses is that the role is not entry level barring a handful of exceptions. So getting a Games Design job straight after graduation is extremely difficult.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
james.portnow

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss43

I can only talk about how it works stateside, but honestly the best route is to get your bachelors in whatever most interests you and then apply for internships with game companies every year until you graduate.

Study game design in your spare time or take it as further education after your bachelor's. In my opinion game design "skill" comes largely from having a strong grounding in logic coupled with an active imagination and a large pool of knowledge/experience to draw from.
james.portnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
Moe Jo.

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Yaustar I could get a job in the Journalism industries. What you posted is what I fear. I really do not want to ONLY do Game Design at University since it is such a hard thing to break into - and I cannot be guaranteed my degree will take me anywhere.

Thanks for the replies. I will see if I can have it as a minor instead of a major, or add a few extra years in to get a dual degree. (Writing, Computer Science, Game Design minored.)
Moe Jo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

That would be better I think. Then you have two skills companies look for: Good written communication and programming.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote