Old 05-04-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
Deakin_Josh

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Post-Grad Thesis - Games in Medicine

G'Day!

I'm glad to say I stumbled across this forum because its exactly what I've been looking for!

Recently I completed my Bachelors in Games Design and Development at Deakin University in Geelong Australia and have moved on to study post-grad wring a thesis on games in the medical industry, primarily rehabilitative but also moving into fitness and such.

As this is such a broad field and the internet is rather large I am seeking all the assistance possible in researching this field, which is where my request for you comes in! If anyone has any history/knowledge of in any of these topics or the Serious Gaming industry roughly in this area your wisdom would be a wealth of information for me!

I have contacted a number of people in regards to it already, unfortunately living in Australia makes it difficult to meet people face to face or go to certain conferences that are right up my alley.

So please, any help would be appreciated, links to studies/conferences/literature that you know of on the topic, people you know whom I can contact, anything is greatly appreciated! Please remember it is a thesis so citeable sources are preferred although not necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Josh Tonzing

p.s. I am only a Games Developer and as such literature with heavy medical terminology will only confuse me
Deakin_Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

IIRC, some areas for you to Google in:
Wiimote used to help rehabilitation (young and elderly)
Is the Wiifit actually useful for fitness?
One handed 360 controller created by Ben Heck (I think)
Dance Dance Revolution used to help lose weight
Games that teach others about diseases: http://www.re-mission.net/
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
Buttersprite

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deakin_Josh View Post
G'Day!
/cut/wring a thesis on games in the medical industry, primarily rehabilitative but also moving into fitness and such.

As this is such a broad field and the internet is rather large I am seeking all the assistance possible in researching this field /cut/
Josh,

You can find out a lot by reading serious games blogs and the IDGA forums and SIGs, but I am guessing a grad student doesn't really need that sort of advice...

I personally think it would be fascinating to write a paper researching the state of interactive computing in medicine as a whole. Maybe focus your primary information on 4 hospitals or clinics; 2 using interactive computing and 2 with no history of doing such? You could break your paper into related chapters, such as (just for a few examples):

1. Overview of "serious games"
2. HCI theory
3. IO devices and the subject of accessibility
4. Mental stimulation and computing
5. Medical imaging
6. Marketing, Social Messages, and Medical gaming

As someone who has written their fair share of research papers, it's much better to have too much information and cull it until you get a polished image than otherwise.

The reason I think this angle would be useful is that it might interest a reader not necessarily interested in the specifics of medical training itself, though still remain interesting for those in medically related careers. I have relatives in the medical imaging business and although what we do is very related, they have no idea that the gaming industry, even articles directly titled "Games in Medicine" have anything whatsoever to do with their jobs. I'd personally like to know why. I'd love reading different interviews about their points of view on the matter, and then juxtapose those thoughts with those of game developers.

FYI - I also couldn't meet interviews face to face, but email works just as well. Promise!
Buttersprite is offline   Reply With Quote