Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Writing
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
Radium

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default Review of website and volunteer writers?

Hello, I am new around here! I was wondering if you would be so kind as to review my video game news site Wii Play Games?

I was also curious to know if any of you have any advice on attaining volunteer video game news writers for a budding site? (aka, not making enough $ yet to afford writers) Also if you could advise on building a forum community and ways to convince people to join and start posting?

Thanks!
Radium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:01 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

Feels like a news site and doesn't have any of the authors' opinionated posts so it just feels a little sterile.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
Radium

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Feels like a news site and doesn't have any of the authors' opinionated posts so it just feels a little sterile.
You know, I agree I will have to do something about that!
Radium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:29 AM   #4
IDesert FoxI

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss17

As far as finding other writers is concerned, asking if people are interested in contributing on sites like this could be a good idea. People are very often willing to write for nothing other than credit on their articles, whether it be for a hobby, or just to spread samples of their writing ability. For example, I'm usually happy to write stuff for people if they would like me too (not that I have a stack of requests or anything).

The difficulty with a relatively unknown and new games review website is finding copies of the games to review. If I were to write for you, I think I have 8 Wii games and 3 DS games, none of them brand spanking new. It might be a case of trying to find writers with specific titles at first! They all have to start somewhere though, so good luck getting the ball rolling, and I might be able to write a few things if you would like me to.

Last edited by IDesert FoxI : 03-30-2008 at 05:56 AM.
IDesert FoxI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:46 AM   #5
CKeene

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss80

I agree with the above poster in terms of the hurdles you're going to face getting games in your hands to review. The key for your success at this point is going to be establishing yourself as a unique review site. The general market of review consumption tends toward the top magazines and the top websites and that's the end of it. If you want to secure an audience you will need something different.

I'm going to shamelessly allude to Ben Croshaw as a shining example of this. His video reviews are so different from your cut-and-dry 'The Good and The Bad' 2-page article that you're forced to pay attention. There's an entertainment value here, so much so that he can review older games and get the same response. It's witty, it's accessible, and in some ways it's endearingly aloof. The reviewer isn't stoically informing us with all the personality of a cardboard box because his bosses have told him to be unbiased. He's just playing games and relaying his opinions in an entertaining way.

I think your success will really lie on capitalizing on opinions. Don't just report news on the game industry or its market. I can go to a big, packaged site to get that. Have your writers report it in an opinionated way. We're taught that when we engage in journalism we should always report in a manner which is completely unbiased, and that's certainly good advice for the mass media news reporters out there, but if people come to your site it's going to be because they find something there that they can't find anywhere else: your writers with their own opinions.

That's a large bill to fit on someone who's going to be volunteering their time to you. So how do you convince someone to write for you? Exploit their ambitions. Writers who are trying to make it in the industry either in games journalism or game writing need samples that will set them apart from their peers and the experience credits to help give the HR person reviewing their resume enough incentive to pass it down the line.

Sites like this would be a great place to look for potential writers. There are a lot of posts from people asking how to become games journalists. But rather than a cattle-call message asking for writers, your best bet is to (respectfully) approach people individually after checking out their work if they have examples of it. There's a big difference between approaching someone and saying 'I need a writer' versus 'I need -you-'.

As for building a forum community, again you're looking for something that's unique. One of the easiest ways to get people to participate in your forum is to link up every news or review post to a forum post by way of a 'Comment on this article' link. Opinion pieces always spark debate, and that spark of passion is what makes people actually register and post to a forum instead of just lurking. Treat the opinions of your forum-goers with as much respect as you treat your writers - feature some of the best on your front page. Offer writing positions to forum-goers who express strong, well-written and respectful (as in no personal attacks... there's no quicker way to drive your forum into a flame war than to allow this type of behavior) opinions. If people feel their time and opinion actually means something they will continue to give them and it will encourage others to do the same.
CKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
bmnathanson

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

I've got about ten Wii titles. If you need a hand, I'd love to help so long as the articles I submit are credited to me Gotta feed the ego!
www.bmnathson.com for contact info.
bmnathanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #7
Blackwings

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

CKeene would you be the same Keen from www.KeenandGraev.com?

www.GameZig.com
Blackwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:11 AM   #8
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnathanson View Post
I've got about ten Wii titles. If you need a hand, I'd love to help so long as the articles I submit are credited to me Gotta feed the ego!
www.bmnathson.com for contact info.
You got your URL spelled incorrectly:
http://www.bmnathanson.com

Out of interest, did you read the feedback from this forum about your article?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote