Get the latest Education e-news

Old 06-17-2008, 06:10 AM   #1
cyberworm

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Considering Options

Hello, I'm a 16 year old now schooling in Singapore, in a school that offers the IB diploma. My combination is prety standard stuff, no IT or anything.
I have always stated my career goal, (nonserious) rockstar) (serious) composing video game music. The music of games like FF and Halo have inspired me. What should I be doing?
I can also write or program. I would like very much to be working in a video game industry when I grow up.

also one more thing you should see is this

www.youtube.com/pianorokr this is me
see i am wizardly with the piano
any advice?

You see if I'm going to be doing some generic degree like Law in university, that might affect my future carreer options. Will it?
cyberworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss2245

Quote:
You see if I'm going to be doing some generic degree like Law in university, that might affect my future carreer options. Will it?
It might. The future can't be predicted.

Some music composition is outsourced to companies rather then done in house, so if it was me, I would be looking at being able to do music/sound composition in general and looking at getting the proper education for it.

However, I have worked with music/sound compositors that have education in un-related fields.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1460

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberworm View Post
If your passion in music, then I would personally pursuit a music related discipline at university. Just because it sounds to me like you would have more fun. Doing a generic degree may give you more options and I don't think it would adversely effect pursuiting a career in the games industry (I believe a quality portfolio is more important for musicians). However, do you enjoy law?
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
zenobuk

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

Quote:
If you're interested in a career that combines games and music, it's probably worth looking more broadly than just composing game music - most studios also employ full time sound designers and/or audio engineers.

Game audio can be quite a technical subject, so if you want to study something that's going to prepare you well, then try investigating degrees in sound engineering or music technology. These can help to give you the good technical foundation that you'll need.

(A law degree would certainly be very good preparation for working in the business side of the games industry, if that interests you at all...).
zenobuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
cyberworm

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Are degrees in sound enginerring and/or music technology common or are they only offered in schools that specailise in gaming technology? Can they be applied to other fields such as filmmaking as well?
cyberworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:52 PM   #6
zenobuk

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

Quote:
Are degrees in sound enginerring and/or music technology common or are they only offered in schools that specailise in gaming technology?
Courses like this are not at all limited to game schools - many technical colleges and music schools offer some sort of course that would be appropriate

Quote:
Can they be applied to other fields such as filmmaking as well?
Yes, sound engineering and music technology are not at all limited to the games industry...
zenobuk is offline   Reply With Quote