Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Art
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
redlantern

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default does computer science mean 3d modeler?

i've been looking into degrees and such needed in the video game business, i mostly see computer science, i am looking to pursue a career in 3d modeling, is computer science the right choice or do i need something different?if so what is it?
redlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlantern View Post
Does computer science mean 3d modeler?
No.

Quote:
do i need something different?if so what is it?
You would be looking for something BA related. Not BSc.

E.g. http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsr...D+ART&single=N
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
Nagaoka

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Definately not, Computer Science is moreso for programming, and has nothing to do with 3d modeling. You'll be looking for courses that teach, well, 3d art and animation.

You should thoroughly research any college or degree that you are considering going into. This is vital to knowing whether or not that program is going to teach you the skills you'll need. The name of the degree you'll be getting will tell you very little. Also, call the schools to learn what their programs are like. Also, find out what sort of skills you'll need for your future job. There are a lot of threads in here discussing what sorts of good and bad programs there are for getting a job in the game industry.

One thing to remember though is that the school is only going to get you so far, you have to put through the effort. Just the school's education itself won't be enough to get you into the industry. If you haven't already, start learning as much as you can about 3d modeling and the game industry right away, before college.
Nagaoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
DTR

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss94

At least around here CS will dump into your head pretty much everything else except modeling =P

Networks, computer architecture, programming, math, math, math, math, math, math, databases, math, GUI design, Graphics theory, and a little bith of math.

Pretty much gives you a nice basic knowledge on all things related to modern computer science.
DTR is offline   Reply With Quote