Old 06-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123
Lightbulb The Engine Drives the Game!

Ok, Here is a subject that go on forever! Game engines make creating games so much easier. In general anyway. They remove much of the tedious Low level code that drive people to madness. So What makes a good game engine?

For me there are a number of things. First it must be diverse. There are engines like source that are mostly geared toward FPS games. I much prefer engines for general game design. Though if you want to make a FPS go right ahead and hay, it's open source so why not.

Another thing is obviously the rendering pipeline. Games have to look good now a day to attract the largest market. Sadly I find this rules out more outdated engines like OGRE (actually it's only a graphics engine but easy enough to build upon)

And finally the last thing that is crucial in my opinion is ease of use. One thing that I do in my code is create functions that are easy to use and handle a lot of things. That way you only have to call createsound("filename"); and it creates the channel, loads the data, stores it in the list blah blah blah. This is something that makes programming very clean and easy to understand. Ad as long as you can access the elements directly after you still have full control. Also Documentation and learning curve fall under this as well. If it has these functions I find that it helps ease the learning curve a lot.

So I know there will be a lot of Source and Ogre fans saying yes you can use them for other game types or you can modify the pipeline for better graphics. I agree you can, It's just more work then I care to do So what do people think are good engines. Open source, free ware or pay? What makes them good and what do you think makes a good engine.

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
HagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
Dominia

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

A point you missed I believe is support. With out a dedicated community to support it and make it grow on help forums, tutorials, example code from other games, the game engine might as well be dead.

That is why I've liked Irrlicht so far, good helpful community. It isn't the best open source engine but it is fairly lean and easy to use.

--Jason Hooten
Dominia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

Very true. Being able to use learn an engine is key. I kinda just rolled that up in documentation. One of the audio engines I love is FMOD because it has examples for multiple languages and awesome documentation as well as a superb online community.

I have One of the engines I am looking into is an up and coming engine that supports cross platform development called The Vicious Engine looks very promising has anyone tried this to see what it's support is like and how it works?

Old 07-02-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

There is always Torque. I haven't used it much but I have heard its awesome.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
fullmetal84

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gshonk View Post
There is always Torque. I haven't used it much but I have heard its awesome.
It must be pretty good, Marc Mencher mentions they should learn it almost every time he responds to someone in his section.
fullmetal84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
DMINATOR

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

I think the good engine is the engine that is both easy and efficient to use by artists and programmers, and allows all of them to work well together.

A good engine should have set of tools, examples, documentation and should be easy and intuitive to use.
DMINATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

The only problem I have with torque is that it is built more toward 2d games then 3d games. Yes it has the capabilities but it's just harder. Also TorqueX (the XBox360 version) uses XNA framework. XNA also is not out of beta so is missing a lot as well.

I am actually looking into the viscous Engine some more and what it takes to program cross platform. It looks like it's mostly scripts but that would be limiting. I got in contact with them and have received a bunch of documentation I will go over tonight.

Actually on a lighter note, What about Flash. It is being incorporated into everything now a day. Adobe Flash CS3 ships with flash light 1.1. This is compatible with newer cellular phones and has a bunch of cellular emulators with it. It's not going to beat J2ME anytime soon but if you want a foot in the door that might be a viable option. I'm making a game demo with it for a meeting on the 19th in the Vortex Competition. we are in the finals.:P

http://vortexcompetition.org/

Old 07-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagNasty View Post
Actually on a lighter note, What about Flash. It is being incorporated into everything now a day. Adobe Flash CS3 ships with flash light 1.1. This is compatible with newer cellular phones and has a bunch of cellular emulators with it. It's not going to beat J2ME anytime soon but if you want a foot in the door that might be a viable option. I'm making a game demo with it for a meeting on the 19th in the Vortex Competition. we are in the finals.:P

http://vortexcompetition.org/
I'm a Game Maker man myself, so I think Flash is the devil.

You best be linking your game, anyways > : (
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:30 PM   #9
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnoc10 View Post
You best be linking your game, anyways > : (
actually the flash was just for prototyping the final version will be in Java. We where just going to prototype it for demo purposes in the finals but it got pushed back a couple months so a major US publisher could attend so we figured we would just have it ready at that point.

And why is flash the devil? you can make some really nice stuff with actionscript really fast. It's a little more constricting but finding the workarounds is half the fun.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:39 AM   #10
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagNasty View Post
actually the flash was just for prototyping the final version will be in Java. We where just going to prototype it for demo purposes in the finals but it got pushed back a couple months so a major US publisher could attend so we figured we would just have it ready at that point.

And why is flash the devil? you can make some really nice stuff with actionscript really fast. It's a little more constricting but finding the workarounds is half the fun.
I don't like the graphics, and I think the enviorment leads to bad gameplay. It seems that you can't make anything worth playing more than five minutes in it.

Also, it's one of those things that are so easy, any moron can make a game, saturating the freeware market with crap.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote