Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > More Careers
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
xVirtual Worldx

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11
Default What do you recomend on a portfolio for a Associate Producer Role Or Project Manger ?

I 'am currently a senior in college I will be graduating with a BFA in Game Design and Programming with my concentration on Design and concepts. I have been working at a Law office for 5 years and have been a supervisor for 3 year. I 'am a supervisor of a staff of 25 people and have lots of experience in business negotiations and contracts from work. I have recently been promoted to Purchasing Coordinator for my company because of how much I have been able to accomplish. To get to the point I want to be a Producer one day and want to get my foot in the door, Does a future producer need a portfolio with his art work, game design abilites or programming if I want to be a Producer? I am really in a dilema, Or do I just need a really good Resume showing everything I have accomplished at my job or both? Like I said I am confused and need some advice and direction please help if you have some good advice or are in a Producer or Project Manager Role.

Sincerly,

James Radigan

Last edited by xVirtual Worldx : 07-07-2008 at 07:34 PM.
xVirtual Worldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Nagaoka

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Looking at another thread just below this one asking how to become a producer, I'll just post the link Yauster gave. I read it, and it seems like it answers your question quite well.

http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson42.htm

The producer doesn't do the art, design, or programming, so you wouldn't have a portfolio for it. It sounds like your experience managing people will be quite useful for the resume you'll need to have though.

It does mention that your best bet is to work your way up from any of the other positions, be it art, Q&A, programming, design, whatever. Producer is definately not a position you can just apply to be in just out of college. You have to be experienced first.

So in the meantime, focus solely on your portfolio for getting that entry level job. Best work only. Cater it to the company you are applying for (do research on what games they make, tailor portfolio to that. You don't want to show the same portfolio to company A that makes fantasy games and company B that makes sports games. It won't please either of them, most likely). Stuff like that.

Read that article though.
Nagaoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
xVirtual Worldx

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

I know you just dont become a producer outof college ( that would be dreaming) but a associate producer or even in QA is fine, just dont want to make a Art portfolio if I 'am going for a Buiness side job?

Thanks
xVirtual Worldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:19 AM   #4
Mariol

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss117

I agree, your management experience is what will help you when applying for the assistant or associate producer roles. But producers (as you already probably know) need to show that they can communicate between teams as well as managing their own time and team. I recommend when applying for these roles that you highlight any jobs that you had to liaise between different teams, like your coordinator role, but go into detail about your tasks.

Other than that, any project management qualifications may be useful?

Hope this was helpful.

P.s. You never know what companies want until you apply. If you see an associate producer role that you think you can do given your experience why not apply. The company may think you've had enough experience already and may give you an interview.

Good luck!
Mariol is offline   Reply With Quote