Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > More Careers
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
xVirtual Worldx

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11
Default Finally have the start of my Porfolio Up!

This is the start of my portfolio, I sitll have till march next till I graduate tell me what you think. I 'am interested in be a producer and a artist. I will eventually get rid of the banners, and pay for a host when I start filling out apps.

Thanks,

Virtual world

www.JamesRadigan.com ( portfolio )
xVirtual Worldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:03 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2267

I quickly say this: Get. Rid. Of. The. Mouse. Trail.

It is unprofessional and tacky. Honestly, I would have stopped looking at the site right there.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2267

Honestly, get someone else to design your site or use a template. It is extremely hard to navigate and is of poor design and colours. For example, I click on Resume expecting to see an online version but get taken to a new page with no navigation side bar and and to make another click to download the resume. Even worse, the page has a button that says 'click me' with no description of what would happen if I did.

Proof read your site, your first page has at least three grammar/spelling mistakes such as:
Quote:
I'am willing to put in, to get the job done!
When it should be:
Quote:
I'm willing to put in, to get the job done!
Also, go easy on the '!'s.

Your images on the Design page are almost a meg each which will take ages to download. Use jpegs, not pngs. Again, your Design pages have no navigation bar.

On the Skills section, get rid of the scrolling text (it isn't the 90's anymore) and bullet point your skills.

Resume needs some work. The Profile section is not needed (or could be placed in the covering letter) and has no proof or examples of what you said you can do.

Education section doesn't list the course name or expected grade.

Your skills don't need dates and should be higher up on the resume. Bullet point your skills.

The game document needs to be proof read as well, within 10 seconds, I already found one spelling mistake. Why did you change the font halfway through and then change it back at the end? The design also sounds like any other FPS that has been out. There is no X factor that sets it apart from the rest of the games in this genre.

I am assuming you are aiming for a design role, so the portfolio needs to show you can do this. At the moment, all the proof of your work as a design is in the document and nothing else. Do you have any level designs that you can show or runnable games that you have designed and made? Board or card games?

Edit: Just noticed that you are interested in an Artist role, in which case I be really honest. The artwork in that portfolio is not up to par to what is needed to get into the industry. You need to up the bar. Compare your work to others who are also trying to get into the industry:

http://www.jlapio.com from http://www.igda.org/Forums/showthrea...threadid=32112

I highly recommend reading this blog as it has several posts on what portfolios should have: http://www.spreetree.net/blog/

Last edited by yaustar : 07-06-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
xVirtual Worldx

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

Thanks for all the help thats why its my start of a porfolio.

Didnt have anything to compare to also I 'm really interested in the buisness side such as associate producer, but aslo I 'm able to do design how would you recomend designing a website to appeal to both?

Last edited by xVirtual Worldx : 07-06-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
xVirtual Worldx

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

I noticed your portfoilio is very easy to navigate and simple but gets to the point
Old 07-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2267

The main problem is that I am having trouble imagining a portfolio for a Producer position short of more detailed information on your roles and duties as a Producer on projects.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:02 AM   #7
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

My response to this question over on the igda.org forums:

Quote:
Read this:

http://www.thejonjones.com/2005/10/0...o-repels-jobs/

Then look at this:

http://www.shaddyconceptart.com/

The only thing I could see him improving is adding a watermark to each of his photos so they stand alone (as discussed in the top link).
You really should take the time to look around more. Not only for my sake (and anyone else answering the same type of simple, easy-to-find-answers-to posts multiple times), but for your sake as well. I wanted to start building my portfolio so I started researching. After some research, I found exactly what I needed and in the process gained a lot of valuable insight into the art of networking.

You learn stuff by researching.

This wasn't centered toward you as an individual, but moreso to the mass of people that ask the same questions every day.

Last edited by Zooch : 07-23-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Zooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Page not found?

I assume you're making improvements.