Get the latest Education e-news

Old 07-29-2008, 06:35 AM   #1
Quikfeet

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Engines! SDK!

I have been working towards a degree in Computer Science (with an Emphasis on Entertainment Arts and Engineering, its a new video game design program at my University), and have been trying to get some good experience under my belt.

I wanted some advice on which engines to practice on. I have experience in Unreal's 2 and 2.5 engine, but haven't done much in 3 yet. I know Blizzard's engines and programs well, and many RTS. Lately, I have been focusing my time on Valve's Hammer Editor and Source SDK and have gotten pretty good at it.

I just got a new computer so I was thinking about trying out the Crytek engine as well.

What I need to know, is which engines are best to get good at, and which are the most popular among developers and studios today? In short, which engine would my potential employer want me to know the best?
Quikfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1464

By the sounds of it, you seem to be doing pretty well. I'm currently only messing around with open source engines and those you get free with games.

Which one is the best? Well, it depends on who you want to work for! Research the comapnies you would like to work for and find out what tools they are using. Then create an awesome demo using those tools!
Old 07-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2254

Quote:
What I need to know, is which engines are best to get good at, and which are the most popular among developers and studios today? In short, which engine would my potential employer want me to know the best?
It doesn't matter. If you already know or have experience in using a non-trivial engine you already have a decent advantage over others that don't.

Companies could be using an engine ranging from the low end (PopCap, Torque) to the high end (Unreal, Source) or even their own internal engine.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote