dornad

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillduffy View Post
I will get things started by posing a few questions:

1. What kinds of words or phrases push you to make a game purchase?
2. What is your personal criteria when deciding whether to buy a game: reviews (if so, by whom?), box art, developer or publisher name, something else?
3. Would you use humor in your marketing bullet points for this kind of game? Why or why not? Would you use double entendres or puns?
1. "A Game by Hideo Kojima" .....
2. For me it must be past titles, developer status.
If it's a new game/studio/developer, I'll like to see
concept art/ideas/gameplay mechanics.
3. I would use humor/dbl entendres/puns .... only if they're clever.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:46 AM   #12
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss692

Quote:
"The honor, you know, is sort of in this general area."
That sentence alone already sounds a lot more interesting than a WWII title called Reign of Honor.
It somehow reminds me of Katamari Damacy's aloof presentation. (Which is weird, I know.)

To be frank (Hi Frank! How's it going!), I pay little to no attention to the bullet points on the back of the box. I think I haven't even read them on most games I own.
So for me, it's quite difficult to decide what potential buyers would want to see in those three points. They always seem pretty lame to me. "Fight exciting battles across bla bla with many yadda yadda!"
Have you ever bought a game based on its bullet points? (Or at least was heavily influenced by them?)
Old 09-10-2008, 08:03 AM   #13
EmilyK

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss27

1. I havn't bought a game based on phrases or words (on the box) since I was very young. But back then I think I'd be swayed by an exciting cover, and if the back told me I could play "over 10 levels!" watch "many hours of CG!", anything like that. Yes, I was easily swayed!

2. Reviews play a part, but it's primarily what my friends think (by 'friends' I mean people on games' forums, how sad is that?). Another factor is if this is a sequel to a series I like, that way I'm immeadiately interested.

3. Personally I'd feel distasteful using humour for a game depicting a world war, but from a marketing perspective, if you threw some humour in there then people are bound to notice it, or pick up on it. So I probably would.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #14
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
That sentence alone already sounds a lot more interesting than a WWII title called Reign of Honor.
It somehow reminds me of Katamari Damacy's aloof presentation. (Which is weird, I know.)
Shall we make this a double challenge and let you do two sets of bullet points: one for Reign of Honor, and one for its spoof Region of Honor?
Old 09-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #15
T K

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

I find I generally ignore any sort of marketing hype type stuff that's on the package... I mentally sort that out, and in the other mental pile go the interesting tidbits that actually tell you something cool and unique about the game (e.g. letting you know it has an in-depth skill system that lets you visibly mutate your character's body or something - that would be an interesting tidbit).

That's why this challenge is really hard! Because the description of this game is basically, "There is nothing special about this game." So for me personally, there couldn't possibly be anything written on the back of the box that would really sell it to me. It doesn't have any features.
The only good thing we know about the game is basically "it is really good."

So how do you convincingly say, "Yet another WWII shooter -- but really good"?
It seems the best way to back that up would be with developer credentials or reviews, but we don't have any of those.

So it is just a hype contest? Are we just supposed to do our best of producing the drivel that never sells me on a game? It seems like it. Not that that's a bad thing, that just makes it really hard (again, not that that's a bad thing).

I guess what we will have to do is pick the 3 most important basic characteristics of a WWII shooter and say that this game has them in spades, but worded in a hype-tacular way.

Edit: I vote anyone who posts Region of Honour bullet points in addition to the standard fare gets special consideration.

(oh, I get it. "Marketing Bullets"... very clever.)

Last edited by T K : 09-10-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #16
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss692

Region of Honor. Lets do it.
And then lets go out, and ninja in the night!
(Sorry, it's late. Here. Brain has already started shutdown sequen
Old 09-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #17
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

This challenge reminded me of a little contest I once held while I was managing editor of Game Developer magazine. We had so much fun with it, we shared it on GameSetWatch:

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2007/03/...ng_stere_1.php

See in particular Frank Cifaldi's winning idea.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #18
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1465

Quote:
1. What kinds of words or phrases push you to make a game purchase?
Usually I ignore most marketing buzz words. Feature lists are dull and boring, although screenshots I do enjoy looking out for. They give an impression of what the game will feel like.

Additionally, I will read the back of the box to get an idea about the story and the game mechanics. I'm always suprised to find that the genre of the game I picked up off the shelve isn't congruent with the cover art.

Frequently I will look out for big names on the box and I will especially take a risk on buying a game where I recognise a name from a game I enjoyed in the past. I purchased Lost Odyssey soley on the merit that the game's music was scored by Nobuo Uematsu and was produced by Hironobu Sakaguchi. The same was true for XenoSaga after I played XenoGears.

Quote:
2. What is your personal criteria when deciding whether to buy a game: reviews (if so, by whom?), box art, developer or publisher name, something else?
Usually, I will go for something my friends are talking about. Essentially word of mouth, or something I see from my friends. I would never have considered paying to play Peggle until someone showed it to me at a LAN!

Another big thing I find is community. When there is a sense of commuity about a game, I am much more likely to follow the series or the developer. This is something that attracts me to MMOGs like Guild Wars and Fallen Earth. In addition, I especially enjoy going for online games like the Battlefield series, Command & Conquer and Halo. I'm always watching Battlecast Primetime and will definitely be buying the next Red Alert 3.

Controversy or simply presence in the news is something that always makes me interested in a game enough to research it. I purchased Grand Theft Auto, Manhunt and Mass Effect after their respective controversial incidents. Although this is because I personally find these things interesting.

Generally, I don't pay too much attention to reviews. Unless of course it is Zero Punctuation over at the Escapist since I enjoy his style. I usually end up buying the games to judge for myself, although the only game he seems to like is Portal and Prince of Persia!

Quote:
3. Would you use humor in your marketing bullet points for this kind of game? Why or why not? Would you use double entendres or puns?
No, proberbly not.

The game uses realism, traditional weaponry and pits the player alongside allies in order to distinguish itself from the competition. Since there are no real innovative features, you have to sell to the player's sense of immersion. The realistic and traditional weaponry will make this an immersive game. Although the design isn't verbose, this is the impression I get. The marketing needs to communicate this.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #19
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Too bad James Portnow didn't get in on that conversation. Xtreme Legancy of Killing 7: The Return of Killing and My Little Pony: Ultimate Ice Cream Party might have had a chance.

Thoughts so far:
-By the makers of your favorite games!
-Shoot Nazi's IN DA FACE!
-About WWII: Educational!

-Realistic, use traditional weapons!
-Fight alongside allies!
-Online play, up to X players!

-Immersive and gritty realism!
-Epic scale battles with AI allies!
-Fight in locations not seen in a WWII game before!

Edit: I was thinking about this last night.
Quote:
The difficult part of the assignment is that Reign of Honor is yet another World War II shooter on the marketplace; a large part of your job will be differentiating it from the Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and Brothers in Arms series. Reign of Honor is realistic, uses traditional weapons, has the player fighting alongside allies, and introduces no innovative features. However, you truly feel that it's a fantastic game -- not all games have to innovate to be fantastic.
If that's what I want to get across, why wouldn't I just say it?

-The definitive World War II experience!
So far, the only bullet I have decided on...
I did consider going with the long version:
-If you are going to buy one World War II game this year, make sure it is Reign of Honor!
But that sounds more like a quote from the gaming press than anything: something to be in quotes on the front of the box, not a bullet-point.

Quote:
The game uses realism, traditional weaponry and pits the player alongside allies in order to distinguish itself from the competition. Since there are no real innovative features, you have to sell to the player's sense of immersion. The realistic and traditional weaponry will make this an immersive game. Although the design isn't verbose, this is the impression I get. The marketing needs to communicate this.
Realism, traditional weaponry, and allies are a staple of the WWII genre (the fact that it's a genre is pretty disgusting). I was given the impression that we are supposed to present them the same way we are supposed to present the whole game: they are not innovative, but are executed fantastically.

Edit #2:
-Extensive Features: realistic battles, AI allies, traditional weapons, online play, and more!
-Developers suffering from feature-creep: realistic battles, AI allies, traditional weapons, online play, and more!

So far, my set bullets:

-The definitive World War II experience: fight in realistic battles, use traditional weapons, fight alongside allies and much more!
(I think I might drop the 'much.' Also, I'm having trouble with the second half. You fight in realistic battles, and you fight alongside allies. Currently, having fight twice sounds/looks weird, but if it's 'fight in realistic battles, alongside allies, use traditional weapons...' it sounds/looks bad, because it connects 'fight' to 'realistic battles,' 'alongside allies,' and 'use traditional weapons,' which doesn't work. Using 'fight in realistic battles, alongside allies, with traditional weapons, and much more,' sounds awkward, and connects 'fight' with 'much more,' which isn't the effect I want.)
-Something about online play.
-Something incorporating the title, i.e.

-Institute the Reign of Honor!
-Help create the Reign of Honor!
-It's time to begin your Reign of Honor! (This one is pretty good.)
-Save the world from the Axis threat and begin the Reign of Honor!
-Defeat the Axis and begin your Reign of Honor!
-Prepare. The Reign of Honor is about to begin.
-Prepare for the Reign of Honor!
-Experience the Reign of Honor!
-Go online and begin your Reign of Honor!
-Defeat your enemies both online and off line to begin your Reign of Honor! (This one's good, also, but if I use both the online point and the name point in the same, I don't know what to do with the second one. Upon reflection, I might go with this one, and mention online in both the second and third...)
-It's time for the Reign of Honor!
-The Reign of Honor begins...
-Extend the Reign of Honor!
-It's time for your Reign of Honor!
-It's time for the Reign of Honor!

I realized that I haven't been doing the GCG challenges lately, so I have every intention of winning this one. To that end, I've been working on it more than my homework. Of course, it could just be that I don't feel like doing my homework, and this makes me feel better than just not doing it...

Edit # 3:
When the challenge says 'traditional weapons,' does that mean traditional for the FPS genre, traditional for WWII-shooters, or traditional as in historic?
I would like to replace the phrase 'use traditional weapons' with 'use historic weapons' in my bullets, which I guess I could do regardless, but it would be nice to have that clarified.

Last edited by ronnoc10 : 09-11-2008 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #20
T K

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnoc10 View Post
-It's time to begin your Reign of Honor! (This one is pretty good.)
I don't think it actually is "your" reign of honour, I believe "reign of honor" refers to a period of time during which honour reigns, i.e. is the prevalent idea in people's minds. This fits with the ideas of comradeship and teamwork (whereas "your" reign of honour is self-centred - doesn't seem to fit the mood).
Closed Thread