Get the latest Education e-news

Old 08-22-2007, 01:05 AM   #1
SacredxSuperman

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Need help with decision

So I'm currently a Computer Science major and have come to the conclusion that programming is not my thing. I find it very stressing, and very often getting lost and frustrated which never adds up to a good thing.

I still want to be involved with gaming, or atleast computers in some aspect. I love coming up with ideas for games, and always have felt as if I had somewhat of a creative mind when it came to writing stories or the such. My parents are for some reason really stressing computer science on me but I really can't take it.

I need something I can enjoy, I also like the hardware aspects of computers(such as putting together a computer and such), but that doesn't have much to do with gaming. I just feel like I need a new major, and something that is going to keep me interested this time.

I guess you can say I'm somewhat of a deep thinker, and just have so much going on in my head at all times. Can anyone help me out with a decision.
SacredxSuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
Maj Boomer

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

You could look into Electronic Engineering Technology. an EET degree is like Electronic Engineering but with less of a focus on the deeper levels of design. As it was put to me, EE's would design the processor to go on the board. EET's would find a processor that is already build to go on the board. There is sometimes a smuggness on the part of EE's toward EET's. The EET focuses more on the practical, hands on side of electronic engineering. Sometimes known as Systems Engineering.

A firend of mine said it like this. There was a group of engineers hired for a comapny at the same time. Four of them were EE's and two of them were EET's. They were taken into the lab and told to ready the test equipment for use. The EE's looked at each other and said, "I have heard of that thing but never used one." and the EET's said, "Here, let me show you how to calibrate it and set it up. We have done this before."

Gaming hardware, like joysticks, and other input/output devices are needed to interface the user with the software. That is extremely important when it comes to simulation. For example, someone writes software for a tank simulator, but someone else will need to design the station that the software will run on. The seat, the monitors, buttons, control sticks, and even the trigger.

I have 11 years in the hardware side of things, and I am now switching to the software side for diversification. I am currently in the Game and Simulation Programming degree program at DeVry. It sounds like you might want to go the other way! Good Luck and Have Fun!

Last edited by Maj Boomer : 09-14-2007 at 08:17 AM.
Maj Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote