Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
MatthewsTimothyM

Activity Longevity
0/20 2/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default FIEA students and teachers

I have a few questions about the programming track at Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy.

My main concern is whether or not the entire program will consist of projects. As I ask around at different universities that teach game programming, it seems that either 1.) there are a shortage or lack of game programming instructors that have been in the industry before, 2) the instructors that teach the programming classes do not really teach, instead its more of "Do this assignment or project in the book or on this website" where there should be "Today, I'm going to teach OpenGL programming, how to program the physics of a racecar simulator, and HOW TO MAKE GAMES.

So my first question is does FIEA even have game programmers that teach HOW TO MAKE GAMES? Browsing through their Faculty list on their website only reveals 2 people that have a programming background (I also saw a few job postings for FIEA lecturers, so more could be on the way). Do FIEA programming instructors actually teach how to, for example, make a platform game, a RTS game, or any type of game, or are students given a semester long project to form a group and make a game of their choosing without any direction from the teacher?
MatthewsTimothyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1779
Default Re: FIEA students and teachers

Timothy,
You should contact the school and ask your questions of the school directly.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
MatthewsTimothyM

Activity Longevity
0/20 2/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Hello,

I learned not to call the school and ask them how/what the professors teach their students. In my experience, the person who I speak with will say they teach the students, but its really walking them through what the buttons in the game engine do. Since the students are the REAL customers, I prefer to ask them how are they receiving their instruction: from book or instructor.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:06 AM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1779

Find out who the instructors are and ask them your tough questions.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:12 AM   #5
Inea

Activity Longevity
0/20 2/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Hello! I may be able to help you out a little. My brother goes to FIEA and is in the programming track. You don't have to worry about doing projects and not learning how to make games; you will make more games than you have time to make. I'm not sure about the specifics of the projects in the programming classes, but you will learn to make games by making them.

I think as soon as school begins, you have to complete a game in two weeks along with the homework from your other classes. After that two week game, you get another one. At some point in the process there is a week-long break from making games so you can recover before making another one. You continue this until you start your capstone project (which is a bigger game.)

My point is, even if they don't teach you specifically HOW to make individual types of games, you will learn how to make the games by making them. (As a side note, if you get in you can sit in on and take classes from all the tracks. Classes are scheduled in a way that none overlap. If you want to learn something outside of programming, you can)
Inea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
MatthewsTimothyM

Activity Longevity
0/20 2/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Thanks so much for your answer. If what you say is actually what goes on a FIEA, it answers my question directly. It appears that, according to my research, in-state students pay $30,000+ to get told to make games and receive little education from the teachers themselves.

Just as in most gaming programs, FIEA charges graduate students money to give them assignments and little instructions. I'm sure the "grade" in the class is calculated simply whether or not the student contributed to the project at all, which has been the case in my experience at three school's gaming programs.

That is my main concern - going to get a Master's Degree and not receiving much education about how to make games from the instructors, despite the requirement to be a teacher at a Master's program being a degree and/or industry experience.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:53 AM   #7
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1460

Postgraduate-level qualifications such as the Masters degree are, by their nature, educational programmes that champion self-regulated learning. This is because they conventionally represent the ability to independently engage with a discipline at an advanced level.

Expecting otherwise will lead to disappointment.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:19 AM   #8
JinGaming

Activity Longevity
0/20 2/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20

I think you should contact the school you're trying to get information from, such as via phone or via their website/email. Also, if you don't feel like it, why don't you try asking alumna from there? I'm sure they can help you with information much better.
JinGaming is offline   Reply With Quote