Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2014, 12:42 AM   #1
ronniedavid

Activity Longevity
0/20 1/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13
Default Careers in Video Gaming?

I'm looking at being a game designer, game writer or even game producer. I have looked at the internet before and most sites say that when you enter a college that is specified in Computer programming and such, that you do not that much high school knowledge prior to entering there school. They treat you like you've never done anything of this career before, is this true? I find it hard to believe.
ronniedavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:04 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss1890
Default Re: Careers in Video Gaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniedavid View Post
most sites say that when you enter a college that is specified in Computer programming and such, that you do not that much high school knowledge prior to entering there school. They treat you like you've never done anything of this career before, is this true?
Ronnie, which question are you asking?

1. "Is it true that most sites say that when you enter a programming college, you don't [need] much prior knowledge of programming?"

2. "Is it true that colleges don't require much prior knowledge of programming?"

3. "Is it true that they treat you like you've never done anything before?"

Your question is unclear.

Also, your pursuit of your stated goal is confusing -- you say you want to become either a designer, writer, or producer, but then you ask about getting into college to study programming. Why?
Read FAQ 34: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson34.htm

It's recommended to take some classes in programming (everybody should, regardless of career aspiration), but you should major in writing if you want to be a writer, and you should take management classes if you want to be a producer, and you should take a variety of subjects if you want to be a designer. You can start in one job in the game industry and then migrate to another.

Also, have you ever checked your inbox here on GameCareerGuide?

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote