Old 08-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
Mitsu

Activity Longevity
0/20 1/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default Help with resume?

Hello!

I am currently looking for some one, preferably an experienced individual in the gaming industry, to look over my resume. This is the first job I am applying for in the industry so I really want the best shot I can get; the position I am applying for is a QAA job, so if anyone would be willing to help me revise my resume, I would greatly appreciate it!

(I will put up my resume as soon as I get a response)
Mitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:02 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270
Default Re: Help with resume?

Just put up the resume. Here is a link that will help in the meantime: http://niniane.org/resume_howto.html
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Mitsu

Activity Longevity
0/20 1/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Alright, thank you.
Here it is: http://prntscr.com/4bstow
It has not been proof read yet, so don't worry about the grammar.

Thank you for the helpful link btw!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

Had a brief look at it. Two major sticking points for me:

- Your career objective. As a hiring manager, I only care about what you can offer to my team. I would consider leaving your career objective out completely as it puts too much emphasis on what you want to gain.

- The stuff below only scratches the surface of what everything is. How big was Assassin doodle? Where can I see it? What did you do on it? What's second person? What's basic understanding of C,++ and C#? Why only basic in 3 different languages? Did you execute the business plan? If not, why? What was the board game? Did you sell it? Was it well received? etc.

The resume opens up too many questions in it's current state. Who are you writing for? What story/theme are you communicating to the reader?
Old 08-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
Mitsu

Activity Longevity
0/20 1/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Interesting points,

I took out my career objective but I am wondering if I should also remove my projects section. Reason being, all three of the project's I've done were independent game's I created for myself, not for market. I would have a website featuring them, however, all three were lost because of damaged hard drives. all that remains now are just pieces of alpha footage on my youtube channel but I don't know if it would be worth showing to people because the videos are not exactly quality work. Though I feel leaving out the projects section would deflate my resume too much.

Although, I do go more in depth about my programming capabilities in my cover letter. Should I still explain them better in my resume? And my programming abilities are not capable of in-depth game programming, so are they even worth acknowledging? And what is it exactly do you mean when you say "What story/theme are you communicating to the reader?"

Sorry for all of the questions by the way, I just want to make sure I have a thorough understanding of these things.

Last edited by Mitsu : 08-12-2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Update
Old 08-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
Mitsu

Activity Longevity
0/20 1/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Here is my updated resume: http://prntscr.com/4c55og
Old 08-13-2014, 02:27 AM   #7
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

"What story/theme are you communicating to the reader?"
As in what are you trying to tell the reader? That you are dependable? That you kick-ass? etc

Your resume must always project a positive image. With the added comments about broken agreements, copied lost, etc doesn't paint a great picture. Twist those projects/achievements into positive comments. What was done well in them? What did they demonstrate?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
Mitsu

Activity Longevity
0/20 1/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

well, I would like the reader of my resume to not only believe, but know that I am a worthy candidate who is passionate, disciplined, knowledgeable, and reliable.

I re-worded the negative comments in my achievements section to make them positive, and added a note saying what I gained for completing the projects in my projects section. I also removed the asterisk.

update: http://prntscr.com/4chc4e

Thank you for the help thus far by the way!