Old 01-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70
Smile Useful Blog

Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd let you know about this new blog I'm writing entitled- 'I want to be a game designer'. I am currently 18 from England and applying for universities and the blog chronicles my journey as I try to make into the computer games industry. So far I have applied for computer games courses and have had a few interviews, which I talk about in the blog. I am writing it because, I want to help people in my position and also just to tell my story. I hope it is something people will be able to relate to and I also want to let people know about things I have learnt on the path so far, and wherever possible, offer advice on things such as What GSCE and A Level courses to look at choosing. These are all things I wanted advice on when I was making these decisions, but couldn't really get any help, and so I want to help others.

I was hoping for your opinion on it, weather it is helpful or not. Also if you could get the message about this blog out to people who may be interested or seek advice, or just want to hear the story of my journey to becoming a game designer that would be great.

http://www.iwanttobeagamedesigner.blogspot.com

Thanks For Reading,

Tenacious Stu

Last edited by Tenacious Stu : 01-25-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Tenacious Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

I think the blog is a good idea as it will be interesting to contrast your thoughts from the start, middle and end when you finally land your job.

However, I do have a gripe:
Quote:
I want to give advice to other people in my position and that want to get jobs in the computer games industry
No offense intended but you are not in a position to give this advice until you actually do get your job as a designer. Any advice you give prior to this does not have the benefit of hindsight whether it helped you or not on your path and therefore can lead others astray despite all intentions.

However, the advice about University interviews was fine because you had the interviews and then wrote what helped you secure the openings.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70

Thank You for the feed back Yaustar,

Obviously I realize that I can't give anyone advice on getting a Job in the Games Industry, as I have yet to make it there.

The site is about advice on things leading up to the desired job role, such as advice on interviews (as you said) and also my views on course choice when at College and even secondary school.

However, I will edit this statement, as the last thing I want is to lead anyone astray, sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks for your help,

Tenacious Stu
Tenacious Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Ah, okay. That mamkes sense now. Personally, I am very interested in reading about your exploits and how well the course will prepare you for the industry especially since you are in the UK as well.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote