Old 02-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270
Default Number of Graduates vs Entry Level jobs

I got bored so I thought I take a look at what courses exist for games in the UK, it turned out to be 285 which is a lot more then I expected taking into account of the traditional courses that are not included in this count.

If 10 graduated per course, that means there is potentially 2850 graduates per year wanting to enter the industry in the UK alone which to me seems far too many for the size of the industry.

Any thoughts?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

I was actually thinking about this the other day. Because there are about 10-20 kids in each class at Full Sail spanning 21 months. Which means 10-20 people graduate each month (not sure if that is completely accurate). So where are we all supposed to get jobs? Is there that much of a demand?
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
Avyon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

I had this thought my senior year. I was looking around me during the brunch before graduation and had the "take all the schools in the country.. add all the graduates every year..." and I'll be honest I felt a little overwhelmed.
Avyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

I'm completely terrified of all of the kids trying to get into the video game industry.

And even more scared of how are better then me.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:25 AM   #5
Crastin

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss35
Default graduation

I can relate. Almost every student at my school is enrolled in game design which is my major as well but i've made up my mind i'm going to succeed no matter what. Each day I wake up I ask myself, what am I going to improve on today? So far it's working but all i've got to compare myself to are my fellow students. Will this confidence get me a job? Who knows, i'm still just a freshman.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:19 AM   #6
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

I'm actually moderating a panel at the Game Career Seminar at GDC about hiring and can ask the panel about the number of applications they receive for different entry-level job titles if you like. I can also ask how many of those applications are considered at all versus thrown out immediately.

The description of the session is this: "A panel of HR heads from Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony and EA discuss the hottest jobs at the hottest companies/studios and share insights on their ideal job candidates, what jobs are available, who is applying and who is getting the job."

What other questions would you all like me to ask?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:30 AM   #7
Crastin

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss35
Default HR question

I'm not sure If I have a considerable question for such an experienced panel but i'd be really interested to read about your experience there. I suppose i'd like to know how much longer the industry will rely on applicants obtaining a collegiate degree, then working in a department not directly related to that degree in order to obtain a job? An example would be having to do QA and/or level design in order to be hired as a game designer later on. A BA degree plus the QA/lvl design time (1 year?) makes the requirements quite daunting to consider and possibly dissuading new talent from entering the field. You can probably answer that but it is the only question I can manifest. But I digress, i'd love to read about your experience there and the topics discussed.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

Great! Look for full coverage of the event on this web site in the weeks afterward!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crastin View Post
I'm not sure If I have a considerable question for such an experienced panel but i'd be really interested to read about your experience there. I suppose i'd like to know how much longer the industry will rely on applicants obtaining a collegiate degree, then working in a department not directly related to that degree in order to obtain a job? An example would be having to do QA and/or level design in order to be hired as a game designer later on. A BA degree plus the QA/lvl design time (1 year?) makes the requirements quite daunting to consider and possibly dissuading new talent from entering the field. You can probably answer that but it is the only question I can manifest. But I digress, i'd love to read about your experience there and the topics discussed.
I agree. I've been scared for a while that the CS degree that I will obtain in 4 1/2 years will not be worth the same to the industry 4 1/2 years from now.

I look forward to your coverage.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:21 PM   #10
Uther Mortigast

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillduffy View Post
What other questions would you all like me to ask?
1. What really tips the scales in favor of a candidate?
2. With the number of schools offering specialized game development/design degrees seemingly on the rise, how do the companies represented at the panel separate the wheat from the chaff?
3. What skills are presently in high demand, and what skills are projected to be in high demand?
4. What question or concern is most often raised by interviewees?
5. As an applicant, what are definite don'ts? (I just like to hear horror stories.)

Uther
Uther Mortigast is offline   Reply With Quote