Old 02-08-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421
Default Where to EAT during GDC

I thought I'd start this thread for anyone else like me who is very much into food and eating well.

I lived in San Francisco for five years, and going to GDC will be the first time I'll be back since I left in July, seven months ago. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to eating at some of my favorite restaurants, takeout spots, and coffee shops.

Near to the convention center is Boxed Foods Company, where you can get superb salads and sandwiches. It's a little pricey, but super hip if you go to the Kearny St. location.. The second location is a wine bar cafe on the rooftop of Moscone. They also have a secret menu item called the "Chicken, Trust Me." (www.boxedfoodscompany.com)

During my personal time, I've got reservations for A16, one of the most talked about Italian restaurants in recent years. It's been featured in Food and Wine magazine at least twice, and I've made their fabulous "Monday night meatballs" at home and loved them. (www.a16sf.com). The owners of A16 recently opened a new place called SPQR (www.spqrsf.com), but it's not at the top of my list right now.

My favorite place to get a thigh-sized burrito, or just some lovely carnitas tacos, is a few blocks from Moscone at 6th St. and Market. Don't go at night alone -- it's not a great neighborhood. Cancun tacqueria will put a huge scoop of fresh avocado in each burrito. It's lovely. Don't get anything with chicken. Do get carnitas or vegetarian.

Peet's Coffee is near the convention center, and that's probably where you can find me between sessions -- either there or in the press room with a paper cup of house blend drip.

To take respite from the convention center crowd with a good drink, I might pop into Salt House (www.salthousesf.com) a few blocks down. The food is over priced, it's a little crowded at lunch, but the wine is good and you can sit at the bar.

Over the weekend, but not during GDC because it's too far, I'm looking forward to meeting some friends at The Toronado on Haight at Filmore for high-end Belgian beer. Next door is Rosamunde, where you can get a killer sausage with two toppings for about $4 with to bring into the bar.

Anyone else looking forward to good eating in San Francisco? I have myriad recommendations for anyone who's lost about where to go!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
BElmore

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

This one may be a little more low-brow than the ones suggested above, but a place I really enjoyed going to last year was The Crepe House on Post and Taylor. My hotel was down the street, and I stumbled upon a lucky find. Crepes all the time, breakfast, lunch and dinner. What's not to like, right? Reasonably priced, and has an eclectic Austin/Denton TX feel to it, if that translates at all. I'm looking forward to a few meals there again this year. GoogleMaps has a street view (I had to swivel around).
BElmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421
Default GDC cheap eats for students

Creperies are a San Francisco staple, and they're fun!

Other cheap eats in the Moscone area:

I already mentioned Cancun on Market at 6th. If you are not a Calif. resident, do try the California-Mexican food here. It's divine cheap eats.

The food court on the lower level of the mall at Market and 4th is surprisingly good (not all fried fast foods: Vietnamese, burger grill, etc.) if you're on a budget for dinner.

On New Montgomery near Howard there is a whole block of good food that's fairly cheap. Working Girl Cafe is good for sandwiches and salads, but they're not open late. There's also a great falafel shop where you can get a huge meal for about $6 or $7.

For coffee: Peet's or Trieste (also on New Montgomery).

AVOID most places on Powell Street, including the bad pizzeria. Blech.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Ah the food was amazing. I ate in Chinatown twice (Sushi Rock and Four Seas) in Japantown twice (Some Japaneses place, and a crepe place). And some other places all over a great Italian restaurant right across from the San Francisco Chronicle building. Great week, Great Food.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote