Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Jessikitax

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default From South to North

Hello!

I'm Jessica, 18, currently reading through all the information I can find about getting into the video game industry, but while there is a lot of information when your starting point is the U.S.A, there is not much out there when your country has an almost non-existent game industry, like mine; Venezuela.

There is a lot I have learned that I will need to take into account, so I'm trying to find out what would be the best path for me to take.

Financially, the more forgiving path would be to study here and get what I think would be considered a "bachelor" (Here it's five years instead of four. I'm still figuring out the different terms and equivalents) in something computer/software related, while dabbling on my own with gaming things. Like photoshop, 3ds max, game mods, learning how to make small mini games, online courses, reading, etc, and then move to the States. Would that actually be worth something once I go?

Or do I have to move to the States now and go to collage there, which honestly intimidates me because, good god, you do have quite the expensive collage education. I would have to look more into that path. I've seen some foreigner programs and the TOEFL.

I think I want to focus on gaming design, I'm not 100% sure yet.

I will continue investigating on the subject, any input you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Apologies for any grammar/spelling mistake. Perfecting my english is my first goal.
Jessikitax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1881
Default Re: From South to North

Jessi,
Either way is fine. It doesn't matter where you get your education.
And either way the biggest challenge is going to be getting a US work visa. Studying in the US might better enable you to learn about the process of getting the visa.
http://sloperama.com/advice/m72.htm
http://www.igda.org/games-game-august-2011

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Jessikitax

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

So the biggest difference would be the difficulty on actually being able get any kind of job in the US, correct? If I can get around that problem, then should I still worry on where I get my degree? or can I relax a little in that department? I personally know some people that have gotten to live and work in the US from here (non-game related jobs). I will ask around about that. I will still keep an eye open for the US education, just in case, but my family doesn't seem to be too supportive of it.

Thank you very much for your answer and the reading material, sir.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessikitax View Post
should I still worry on where I get my degree? or can I relax a little in that department?
I already answered this question, didn't I?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Jessikitax

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
I already answered this question, didn't I?
Indeed. It seems that since I was somehow expecting an overly complicated answer to my situation, I repeated myself when it was already clearly answered, but I'm quite clear now in which way to proceed. I will try my hardest. Thank you.

Have a good day.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
rvalenzuela

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

Thanks a lot for your answers and your website guiding all of us Tom.

I'm in a similar position as Jessica. I'm from Ecuador, but instead of going to America I'm moving to Canada.

As you said, my priority should be to get a working visa, but I think that I also have to plan for the long run and get the permanent residence too. That's why I'm moving to Saskatchewan or Manitoba, there's seems to be more opportunities there to actually get the residence.

Unfortunately my research has showed me that there's almost no industry in those provinces. I read your lessons where you said Location, Location, Location, and that I have to move where the companies are. And yes, I will do that after I get the residence, in the meantime, while working in creating portfolio, which work would you recommend me to get that is related to Game dev and the experience is valuable?, my only guess is software development.

My name is Ricardo Valenzuela, I live in Ecuador where sadly there's no IGDA chart. I plan to go to GDC '13 and I want to become a game designer.
rvalenzuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvalenzuela View Post
while working in creating portfolio, which work would you recommend me to get that is related to Game dev and the experience is valuable?
This is a problem you have to figure out yourself. I recommend you come up with options, and if you don't have a clear favorite, make a decision grid.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
rvalenzuela

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

Thank you Tom for your help
rvalenzuela is offline   Reply With Quote