Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
eferaga

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss33
Default Diference between Designer and artists

While i was reading in sloperama FAQs, i got a doubt and it was, ¿what do the designers really do?, because maybe me and maybe more people have the wrong definition of it, as i think a deisgner is, it is the person that make the level, draw, and uses programs like photoshop and editors to make the game, but i want to know if im wrong because maybe im going to take the wrong decision and i dont even know it o.0
Thanks
eferaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

In theory:
Designers design games. They design and document gameplay mechanics that are then implemented and iterated by the team which is then refined by the designers. They shouldn't do any actual content to the game.

Artists model and/or animate objects in the world. This can be the environment, characters, sprites, etc.

What you may find in the real world that 'artists', 'programmers', 'designers', etc can wear many hats (work in multiple roles) especially in smaller teams. It isn't uncommon for a designer to program or model.

There is a role which is probably the one you are getting confused about which is known as Level Editor, Level Scripter or Level Integrator which are entry level roles into the industry. These roles can differ heavily from project to project as it requires some knowledge in scripting (C++, Python, Lua, In-house custom languages) and level editing (Maya, Hammer, UnrealEd, In-house tools) to implement missions, storyline and populate the world.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
eferaga

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss33

So as i understand at the moment, a Designer only aport new ideas, of how the level has to be, or how the gameplay has to be, and aport storylines and write the game.

The programers design engines, design editors, textures, model, and implement great graphics to the gamesa and they edit levels.

The artist draw the new characters, machines and make animations

Do i have the concept as it is, or im wrong?
eferaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

Basically yes although it isn't entirely correct. Bottom line: Designers design, programmers program and artists model/animate. What they design/program/animate varies from project to project and there are also a few roles that exist which are a mixture of different roles as the Level Editors I mentioned above.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
Hataish
De-Registered User

Activity Longevity
0/20 0/20
Today Posts
0/0 sssssssss

Following websites are related with designing.
  Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 04-10-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

No they are not, bye.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:05 AM   #7
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/featu...s_of_game_.php
This article (link above) explains the different job titles a game designer might have and what they do.