Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Ta-Razel

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7
Default Finding a game design school

i'm looking to be a game designer in my future. i would like to know if anyone knows of any schools in the New York area that offer courses game design that can that me get a general idea and prepare me for the job some
Ta-Razel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
DerFool

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

I can't give you any recommandtions or advices, for i too am a newbie
Yet Here you can find many schools with Game development and design related diplomas and degrees.
DerFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
mheyman

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

From what I have heard from those in the industry and from things I have read, most developing studios do not like to hire Game Design majors.

Here is just one source that can give you a more detailed explanation:
http://www.gamecareerguide.com/featu...dvantages_.php

I am attending Ringling College of Art and Design's Game Art and Design program. The major focuses much more on the art of games then it does the design. To broaden my experience I am taking classes in philosophy, psychology and sociology; I also have a bit of programming knowledge as well. I think that graduating Ringling's prestigious computer animation reputation plus my other studies will be sufficient for a career in the gaming industry.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you don't need to attend a game design school to end up in game design, in fact, according to the above article, it may be better not to attend such a school.
mheyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:04 AM   #4
Cassandra

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerFool View Post
I can't give you any recommandtions or advices, for i too am a newbie
Yet Here you can find many schools with Game development and design related diplomas and degrees.
I'm a bit amuse at your reply

Cassandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
ShadoFrost

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
From what I have heard from those in the industry and from things I have read, most developing studios do not like to hire Game Design majors.

Here is just one source that can give you a more detailed explanation:
http://www.gamecareerguide.com/featu...dvantages_.php

I am attending Ringling College of Art and Design's Game Art and Design program. The major focuses much more on the art of games then it does the design. To broaden my experience I am taking classes in philosophy, psychology and sociology; I also have a bit of programming knowledge as well. I think that graduating Ringling's prestigious computer animation reputation plus my other studies will be sufficient for a career in the gaming industry.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you don't need to attend a game design school to end up in game design, in fact, according to the above article, it may be better not to attend such a school.

Ah, Ringling

I know quit a few people that go there. I was accepted but opted not to go for various reasons.

I like your direction as I have a similar one. I just finished earning my AA in Computer Animation and AS in Business Administration from Miami Dade College. I took a large amount of varying courses to expand my knowledge base and I am currently taking summer classes in Honors Sociology and Customer Service. After I get a few certificates and work on my portfolio I'm heading to NY for School of Visual ARts. There I will eventually get a MA in Computer Art and go to a traditional college for my Business degree.
ShadoFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
ShadoFrost

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta-Razel View Post
i'm looking to be a game designer in my future. i would like to know if anyone knows of any schools in the New York area that offer courses game design that can that me get a general idea and prepare me for the job some
Interesting.
I'm basically doing the same thing. I chose School of Visual Arts for Computer Animation. Schools that I've looked into that you can check out are Parsons, Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), Mercy College, Clarkson University, New York University (NYU), Game Institute, Cornell University, and Rensselar. Do you have a specific area of interest?
ShadoFrost is offline   Reply With Quote