Can we only submit one answer?
gguillotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:27 AM   #12
gguillotte

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

I like the concept, though it sounds a little limiting to a player.

Emphasizing their fists with special unarmed abilities might help bring out that unique aspect. The requirement of a blacksmith to heal would add a neat dimension to crafting ("LF1M, any blacksmith"), but would also probably force all Niets to be smiths themselves in order to solo. They could also use special oils to improve attack speed, or even movement speed since they can't get a mount.

It'd also be neat if at some point they could temporarily transmute into another type of Niet. It'd be tough to have a class that couldn't ever change its base gear.
gguillotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:03 AM   #13
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguillotte View Post
Can we only submit one answer?
You can send in more than one answer only if they are really good!
Old 04-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
james.portnow

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss43
Default Hi Everyone

As many of you know, I'm in transit right now taking over a position as CCO of Divide by Zero games. Sorry I haven't been on the boards as much as I'd like (I'll be around more in the future). I'll respond as best I can in the post below.
james.portnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #15
james.portnow

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrir View Post
This sounds like fun!

With regards to the class-based system, how much flexibility is available? Can characters belong to several classes, or are they bound to a single class? Do players pick primary and secondary classes? Are classes dicotomised into groups that players pick one from (ie. players choose a crafting class and a combat class)? Do we decide?

Regards,
Michael "Adrir" Scott
All of that is up to you! Sounds like you have a bunch of creative answers boiling in your brain. All I can say is, "Go nuts".
Old 04-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #16
james.portnow

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBarnes View Post
Great idea always love an intellectual exercise.

I am just a little confused on the requirements though. MMO design is reliant on the class design. Without really knowing the design of the propsed "fantasy MMO" its hard to make a judgement on whats needed.

Are we designing the whole game play of the MMO? Or rather taking an existing model ie:"WoW" and building new classes?
Taking an existing model is totally acceptable. If you want to invent your own world to justify a class go for it.

You can even take an existing world like WoW and modify it to suit your needs.

Hope that answers the question.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #17
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

ok, how about this one:

Rogue Guardian Angel
===============

Main function of guardian angels is of course - to guard,
So most of them are assigned a sentient being which they need to guard for the rest of its life,
But there are some guardian angels that discovered that doing free lance work and hiring their services to the highest bidder is much more profitable. In order to do that most of them just desert their current assigned being leaving it to its unguarded and most likely gruesome fate.
Protection is the guardian angel's main forte - they have very high armor score and they can use their wings to protect other members of the group.
They are also pretty proficient with the sword and any other blade weapons.
They can fly so they have a good chance of running away from a battle against non flying creatures and they can cross long distances pretty fast, carrying up to 2 other members of the group.
The main draw back of being a rogue guardian angel is that TPTB that are responsible for assigning beings to angels don't really like their rogue status or the higher mortality rate of the beings assigned to these angels, and also there is a high demand for guardian angels in this crazy over populated day and age; so they hunt them all over the world trying to reenlist them to the guardian angel ranks. Because of that a rogue guardian angel must always keep on the move and keep a low profile and they can never stay too long in one place in fear of being caught, it also limits its ability to use magic because this draws unwanted attention from spies of TPTB. They are also limited about the time they can spend flying the longer they are in the sky the higher the chance that they'll be noticed.
As a guardian angel in the game world you can either join a group, being the body guard of the weaker members, or you can go solo looking for rich clients that need protection.
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #18
james.portnow

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimEdwards View Post
Well for those of you who are wondering, this is the way I went about it.

I looked up all I could on the different WoW classes (Wikipedia is a definate sweet spot) and then just went with things I've seen in movies, read in books and learned from playing too many games. Somethings work, somethings don't and really you have to keep in mind: Be creative, but remember, be realistic. Some poor programmer has to help you with your idea and if it's too complicated then it's going to take him even longer to accomplish what you're imagining.

But seriously let your mind wander, what would you like to be able to do in a fantasy type world? Think of the different kinds of support your particular character should offer to help gather together with a common goal. Whether it's felling the oldest great wyrmking, or helping a caravan across rough terrain, how would your particular class help in such situations?

That's another thing, if you're not familiar with the fantasy genre as a whole, look up Dungeons and Dragons or D&D. Also Neverwinter Nights, Diablo or Balder's Gate would be handy things to check out. But you're going to want to make sure your character will be able to offer some support in any kind of situation in order to make it as unbiased as you possibly can. Most MMO's today are still suffering from those kinds of things where certain classes aren't nearly as effective, so those people get neglected. Hey, but then again... this isn't my challenge! Take my advice with a grain of salt and just have fun! This isn't homework, nor should you treat it as such!

Good Luck Everyone!!!
Tim Edwards
Wow...with advice like that I don't even need to be here. For anyone just jumping in to the contest this post really has some good ideas on how to start thinking about the problem.

Quote:
Be creative, but remember, be realistic. Some poor programmer has to help you with your idea and if it's too complicated then it's going to take him even longer to accomplish what you're imagining.
That's some of the best advice for any game designer.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #19
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

Quote:
Be creative, but remember, be realistic. Some poor programmer has to help you with your idea and if it's too complicated then it's going to take him even longer to accomplish what you're imagining.

That's some of the best advice for any game designer.
I hope I'm not going off topic here, but I must ask about that statement, although I mostly agree with what said, from my experience as a systems analyst (which I guess is not 100% the same as a game designer and most surely more boring) I wrote the system specs and designed the UI for the application and then spent a few hours arguing with the programmers about what can and can't be done (since I was a programmer before becming a systems analyst, I experienced both sided of these arguments), usually we met half way, I removed some requirements and they worked a bit harder to implement what was left. my point is that programmers will usually try to reduce the diffculty level of the requirements and system analysts will demand what ever they think will work best for the application, and if either side will reduce its resistence in advance (writing less demanding requirements or trying to implement all of them, even the unreasonable ones) the final product will not be as good. of course that knowing the limits is a good practice but asspiring to reduce those limits is what gives the challanges. maybe this is different in the gaming industry, sadly I'm not there yet...

again, sorry for going off topic, I can start a new thread on the subject if this realy bothers someone
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #20
EnSanity

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss29

I'm very excited about this, but I have a few questions.

1. Do I have to have a job title or a school affiliation, like it mentions at the end of the article? I have neither, but would still like to participate.

2. Are we supposed to submit more than one class in one submission? I have several classes with synergy with each other, but the 500-word limit is rather, well, limiting. Should I put them in different submissions?

That's all, and I can't wait to get started.
EnSanity is offline   Reply With Quote