Old 10-03-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
fenderize

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8
Default Some advise please.

Hello,

I am a Game designer/ Level designer; I have a shipped AAA Title. I have a good portfolio and I also have some great references from leads at the company I was working at. I am also a graduate of the VFS game design program. I left my previous employer on very good terms due to our project completion.

I have been using my contacts and applying for many jobs in the Vancouver area and yet most companies won’t even email me back. I meet the requirements for many of the jobs and yet I still hear nothing. Some companies say they will get back to me in the future when more jobs open up. Even though they are posting jobs, which I am qualified for.

I was just wondering if this is common and if anyone else is having the same problems. Does anyone have any advise? I have been looking now for almost 3 months and I cannot wait much longer. Thanks!
fenderize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
fullmetal84

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

It can be hard to stomach, but it sounds like this process generally takes a bit of time. I don't have any experience with applying yet, but I have heard that getting accepted can be a lengthy process.
fullmetal84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
fenderize

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8

I guess im just spoiled since I got my first design job a few weeks before I graduated. I still have a couple months before Im out of money,
Old 10-09-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
Darth Tomi

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14

It's a tough economy no matter what field you're in. And especially in game design. Most VG companies get a dozen resumes a day of people wanting to break in. It's a hot field right now. Try to get to know a few of the guys there as well and keep working on your portfolio. And lots of companies have what are called "open positions". They keep posting jobs but aren't really hiring. It (A) makes the company look good, even if they're laying off and (B) there's always the chance some genius will come walking in through the door (aka John Romero). Also some HR Geek once told me that they need to post a certain number of jobs in a 12 month period due to some H1B visa program thing or such, so they really aren't hiring because they have some other reason to post jobs. AND THEN there's the ones who have too high of standards. They want all this experience, education, a PHD, etc. I know a guy who's been doing this for 10 years and even he wouldn't be qualified for some of these jobs. Sheesh. Either way, fun, fun, fun. Good luck.

Resident Evil Extinction

Last edited by Darth Tomi : 10-09-2007 at 07:29 AM.
Darth Tomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:53 AM   #5
iddqd

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

You may have already tried this, but have you checked out the IGDA chapter for your area? http://www.igda.org/vancouver/devlist.htm . It may be of some help.

Just out of curiosity, what AAA title did you ship?

Jonathan Buffey
iddqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
fenderize

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8

I have three interviews next weeks so things are looking up. All of a sudden I guess its getting hot.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
fenderize

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8

Thanks for the advise. I have just accepted an offer from a great innovative company. It is a game design position. It is a great opportunity and was my first choice for all the jobs I have seen.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #8
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Congratulations. Hope it all works out for you.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2267

Glad it is working out for you but if they don't email you back within a week, use the phone and call them. Don't just rely on email, it is far too easy to ignore an email but not a phone call.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:34 AM   #10
fenderize

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8

I have already accepted an offer.