Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2008, 01:46 AM   #1
Cassandra

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Unhappy Gaming Industry?

Why do so many people consider this career in this field as a lazy, low class, wasteful field. If you tell someone they would think you're a lazy person who is making hardly any money.

with lazy- unhealthy, wasteful, fat, geeky, and a bit weird

Just curious
Cassandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

It is a new industry and not as commonly understood on what people do in that industry compared to others.

Also games have the misconception that they are toys and are for kids so people don't think you have grown up at all.

In short, it is just a stereotype.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:11 AM   #3
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Also If you say you make games most people have no idea what goes into it. They think of Grandma's boy where they are testers and they just play a game all the time. People think games are made by magic or something and we just play them before we sell them.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:58 AM   #4
Crastin

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss35
Default Industry

It's an esoteric subject really. Almost everyone hears a job title and forms in their brain a basic intangible layout of what that job must entail but really only the person within that field knows all the actual duties necessary. It's a form of mental association that helps the brain filter only what it feels it needs to know to carry on in the conversation at hand. In short, if someone knows nothing of a subject you're speaking on they'll make small associated assumptions in order to carry on the conversation and assumptions are rarely ever accurate or kind.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

I think it's more of a reflection of what most people who claim they want to work in the games industry are like.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnoc10 View Post
I think it's more of a reflection of what most people who claim they want to work in the games industry are like.
I would have to agree. Many people who want into the games industry can be summed up by "I watch anime for ten hours a day and play games the rest". However a good majority of the people I know who want into the games industry want the industry to come to them, not go to where the jobs are. That's a bit of trouble there.

Sincerely,
Tim Edwards
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
Crastin

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss35
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnoc10 View Post
Doesn't that statement make you one of those people continuing the perception that anyone pursuing a career in Game Design must be like? Categorization has never been correct nor will it ever be. Game Designers will be many things and that diversity will keep the field interesting.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crastin View Post
Doesn't that statement make you one of those people continuing the perception that anyone pursuing a career in Game Design must be like? Categorization has never been correct nor will it ever be. Game Designers will be many things and that diversity will keep the field interesting.
No, because I am not one of those people. You can acknowledge a stereotype without re-enforcing it.
Edit: Errr, maybe I'm just being defensive. You're probably right.

Last edited by ronnoc10 : 04-17-2008 at 04:54 PM.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:38 AM   #9
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimEdwards View Post
Many people who want into the games industry can be summed up by "I watch anime for ten hours a day and play games the rest".
*cough*

I've never done that before...honest!

At least I spend my weekends drenched in a sea of Java
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:04 AM   #10
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

I've talked to so many people around where I live, and people want to get into the industry, but they don't want to do anything for it.

I wish I had the time to create a portfolio, but that most likely won't happen until I've moved to Alberta and can finally just focus on working and a portfolio.

But soooo many times I hear people saying it's hard to get into the industry when in all reality there is no industry here. One company does not mean the industry has arrived. Especially when they're a smaller company. Demand for game creation jobs is rediculous here, and I know a few programmers who only applied. A portfolio is definately the thing that sets you apart from the masses, not fancy colored, textured, resume paper.

Just my $.02.

Sincerely,
Tim Edwards
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote