Old 04-16-2008, 11:27 PM   #11
james.portnow

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss43

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnSanity View Post
Can we also choose a setting? If said setting is a gym (as opposed to a field), can that gym have basketball hoops at both ends?
The less resources required the better (I'll be sending the answers to real teachers in Oakland), but send me the idea that you feel most passionate about. If you think it meets the criteria I'd love to hear it.
james.portnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #12
dschnare

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

I find myself always breaking down back to dodge ball, hot potato or ball tag every time I come up with a concept for this challenge. This is tricky.
dschnare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #13
dreamshade

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss87

Ah, but you're missing something there - little kids love dodge ball like teenagers love first-person shooters. So no harm done there.
dreamshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #14
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

Hmm, a little off topic, but do we get commission James? I mean you sending these off, what're you trying to pull here?! Hahaha, just kidding, but I have to say I love these challenges and thanks for taking the time to amuse us with these and actually go over them! I can honestly say I speak on everyone's behalf when I say this is great and we all really appreciate it!

Sincerely,
Tim Edwards
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #15
james.portnow

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimEdwards View Post
Hmm, a little off topic, but do we get commission James? I mean you sending these off, what're you trying to pull here?! Hahaha, just kidding, but I have to say I love these challenges and thanks for taking the time to amuse us with these and actually go over them! I can honestly say I speak on everyone's behalf when I say this is great and we all really appreciate it!

Sincerely,
Tim Edwards
Sure, you can have a fatty piece of anything I donate to the public good ; )

Hopefully you earn piece of mind knowing that you're helping to educate/entertain children in Oakland.
james.portnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #16
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.portnow View Post
Sure, you can have a fatty piece of anything I donate to the public good ; )

Hopefully you earn piece of mind knowing that you're helping to educate/entertain children in Oakland.
Hey, if it gets used, I'd most certainly love to know! I'm building a portfolio and anything at this point would most certainly help! Remember, not all of us are fortunate enough to be already in the games industry!!! Also, if anyone down there would like more ideas, I'm bored and don't mind coming up with more ideas. This has been a blast... also, it made me think, what would be fun as a first grader? I took myself back 17 years in my mental DeLorean to find out!

Thanks again!
Tim Edwards
Old 04-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #17
zero1328

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss21

Having it contribute towards a portfolio, or anything in real-life would definitely create a larger incentive to try and take part in this challenge, I think. There might be more entries.
zero1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #18
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

As nice as it would be to have it contribute to a portfolio, I don't think that's why it's here, and I would actually give that up to keep this as a fun and simple design exercise to keep us creative minds creating.

People shouldn't need incentive if they truly enjoy this, but that's my opinion. I do this because this is where my heart truly lies, in coming up with ideas, stories, worlds... I just love to create! So as nice as it would be to count this toward a portfolio, no, take back what I said and pretend it never happened. I don't want this to be THAT kind of competition. I like it right now being kind and helpful and people discussing on the forums why they did this.

Making it about portfolios would instantly create an air of "Why should I tell them? They might steal it!" Let's just keep this the way it is for sure!

Sincerely,
Tim Edwards
Old 04-17-2008, 04:13 PM   #19
EnSanity

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss29

I don't know about a portfolio, but it wouldn't hurt the spirit of the challenge if someone harmlessly used it on a school or job application. Something like "3 time winner of James Portnow's Design Challenge" or something like that. It wouldn't praticullaly matter if you won, and ideas could still be discussed on the forums, but if it helps someone get a job or school, what's the harm?

(Note: This does not only appeal to my best interests, because I will not be applying to a job or school for a while yet.)
EnSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #20
zero1328

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimEdwards View Post
Making it about portfolios would instantly create an air of "Why should I tell them? They might steal it!" Let's just keep this the way it is for sure!
Actually, without the incentive of portfolios, I was already thinking that. That (new?) disclaimer at the bottom doesn't make me feel much better.

But, I've realised that, you're better off telling someone that idea and getting it seen by people, instead of not doing that. A long while ago I realised that someone creating a similar idea is actually fairly likely, and it's more of a race of who says it first, and how well people see it. It's hard to believe someone who says, "Oh, I thought of that ages ago, I just never told anyone", whether or not it's the truth.

Last edited by zero1328 : 04-17-2008 at 05:48 PM.
zero1328 is offline   Reply With Quote