Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #21
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

I definately believe that might be new. Also, who cares? I'm just enjoying these challenges. This shouldn't change the way anyone thinks about this contest, although I am noticing more people are active in the other thread still.

Game design isn't just about designing a fantasy class, but about designing and creating in general. I think if you've got a passion for creating, you shouldn't opt out of design challenges just because "it's not your thing." I would think you'd learn more from something that is out of your element.

...I think I'm too full of opinions tonight...

Sincerely, and Good Luck to all in this challenge!
Tim Edwards
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #22
JavFalcon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Hi everyone!

Regarding to the last comment, actually almost anyone can do anything, it’s just that some people grow in a certain environment and they want to hold on to that environment.

About the challenge
Try not to make something really complicated because this are kids, they are really smart but they do not know allot of things yet and they got allot of energy to use, like Edwards said, try thinking that they are learning additions, grammar and words like "Sun" or "Book".
I think it should include portability, this means easy to remember and no dependence on a type of ball or place (since its low budget).

Oh and also, I've seen that for some people its easier making the design of the whole game and then add some features like the educational part(but thats up to the designer and the type of game) ; think of it as adding branches to a tree.

Can’t wait to see all of your games and what you've designed, best wishes to everyone.

JavFalcon aka Dunmord

Last edited by JavFalcon : 04-17-2008 at 08:19 PM.
JavFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #23
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

Well since there has been little activity on these forums, I'll post one of my ideas.

Alphabet Soup Tag

This game requires a ball and a team of four and a team of sixteen. The objective is for the team of four to tag everybody and get them all out and the team of sixteen needs to survive the time limit or catch all four of the other team out. The ball grants immunity to tags, and can also get one of the four people tagging out.

Rules of the Game:
Whoever has the ball cannot be tagged out, but if they get tagged they say a letter of the alphabet and if the person who tagged them says the next letter in sequence then they are out and the ball is tossed back into the mix. However if the person who tagged the person with ball gets it wrong, then they’re out.
To get players back out and into play, either a single person with the ball has to run up to a person who is out and say a letter and the person who’s out must say the next correct letter in sequence. Or a team of three must run up and say a sequence of letters and the person who is out must end it correctly to be back in.
For the people tagging, to get a team mate back into play they must either tag them with the ball or say a sequence of three letters and the person who is out must finish the sequence.
The Game is won by either side being completely out, and the time limit is fifteen minutes, or can be shortened so people can switch to and from being the people tagging.
The point of this game is to help teach kids alphabetical order as well as challenge them to recall it faster. Also it provides physical activity and pushes to suggest teamwork.

Let me know what you think!

Sincerely,
Tim Edwards
Old 04-18-2008, 06:57 PM   #24
Demota

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimEdwards View Post
Well since there has been little activity on these forums, I'll post one of my ideas.

Alphabet Soup Tag
(snip)
Let me know what you think!

Sincerely,
Tim Edwards
I'll tell you what I think. I think it's fantastic. A few questions, though. How old do you imagine the players to be? Kids learn the alphabet pretty early. Do they have the endurance and speed to keep up with the pace of the game?
Demota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #25
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

I actually used a grade one curriculum from here in Canada, and even though they learn the alphabet in primary, or preschool even, this exercise isn't meant to teach them the alphabet, so much as recall it faster and faster.

As for endurance, I don't expect it to be fast paced, I expect it to be more like tag where the kids who aren't it only have to avoid the kids who are, as well the kids who get tagged out are to sit down so other people can rescue them!

Also Demota, I'm really glad you liked it, but I suppose for more of a learning purpose it could be for younger kids too, and can also be modified to apply to numbers, or even math equations if you felt the need. Replace letters with a group of three running up and saying something like "four" "plus" "five and the last kid saying the answer "forty five?"

I had two other ideas as well, but I think I sadly, would enjoy this one the most. I generally make ideas in at least threes, so I'm not hedging all my bets on one idea. Not only that, but as I create one idea, I get inspired to do another one and so on... and so on...

Never ending loop of inspiration! *Head Explodes*

Thanks again Demota,
Tim Edwards
Old 04-19-2008, 05:19 AM   #26
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

I agree with Demota that your idea is good, but first graders might be a bit too smart for it. Especially since there's already a nursery rhyme for remembering the alphabet, which I still use ^^;. It would probably be more challenging if you changed it to be math equations, like you said, or if there was a short time limit for them to recall the next letter, like 5 seconds or something.
EvilLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #27
dreamshade

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss87

I'd also like to ask a similar question, as someone who isn't a parent and hasn't been a first grader in quite a while - just how many rules can a first grader put up with? If we require four or five different steps to play, is that going to confound the average first grader, or will they pick up on it well enough to stay focused?
dreamshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:11 AM   #28
zero1328

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss21

I think four or five rules can a general limit for learning a game at that age. But, it will also depend on what those rules are. It's really important to think of how the game will probably be explained, especially for young people.

Think of it this way: If you can't sum it up in 25 words or less, it might be too complex.

One of the best ways to learn something new, (which, surprisingly, many teachers don't do), is by using analogy. Using something familiar will lower the learning curve. Also, people will be motivated to learn (faster) if they like the concept. In my proposal, I went the easy way by using "hot potato" as a base, and building a new element on it. It isn't as unique, but it raises the possibility of the children learning and liking the game.
zero1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:27 AM   #29
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

The hardest part I found about this challenge is trying to think:

"What would be fun if I was back in the first grade?"

Anyway, I'll go ahead and post my other two ideas, maybe inspire some people, get some contructive criticism. Any thing to get better!

Dinosaur Alley

The objective of this game is for the Cave People (seven individuals) to successfully get the ball from one side of the gym, to the other to score single points for every successful attempt; the dinosaurs need to stop them in order to score points.

Game Rules are as follows:
There is one team of thirteen students and a team of seven students.
The cave people (Team of seven) have to work together passing the ball back and forth in order to pass by the dinosaurs.
The Dinosaurs are split into groups. One group of three and five groups of two. The group of three is a Tyrannosaurus Rex (One of the most famous predators of the dinosaurs), which makes them slower moving but bigger and harder to get past, and the groups of two are Velociraptors (smaller but much quicker predators) making them faster than the T-Rex but slower than the Cave People.
For the Cave People, all they have to do is avoid the dinosaurs and safely carry the baby (which is actually the ball) from one end of the gym to the other length wise (longest way) and that grants them a single point.
The Dinosaurs are the predators; therefore they can only score points by catching the person holding the ball.
The Ball symbolizes a baby; therefore it cannot be thrown, only handed off or rolled. (No one rolls a baby, but it’s gentler than a throw!)
If the ball is intercepted by the dinosaurs or the person is caught holding the ball then the match starts over from the beginning of the gym again and the dinosaurs are awarded one point, the game also begins again if the cave people carry the ball to the end of the gym as well.
The Point of this game is to teach the kids a little bit about dinosaurs and make it fun and interactive; it also promotes active teamwork (especially for the dinosaurs) and the gentleness of taking care of the ball.

The Lesson: A long, long time ago monsters called Dinosaurs ruled the earth. There were plant eating dinosaurs called Herbivores and meat eating dinosaurs called Carnivores. In the middle of the two were Cave People, who were constantly avoiding the dinosaurs who were much bigger than they were. The Cave People were constantly moving around trying to find safe places to live and raise their families. The Carnivores, or meat eaters, were the biggest problem for the Cave People while they tried to move their families to safe places. Today’s game will have people teamed up to be dinosaurs and a team of Cave People carrying this ball which symbolizes a baby.

[Here the teams get divided and partnered up and the rules explained.]

Change of the Seasons!

This game requires a ball and four teams (five people per team). The object of the game is to eliminate the other seasons so your original season is the season for forever! The game is played similar to dodge ball and tag.

Rules of the Game:
The ball is the only thing that can eliminate someone, and it has to hit them from the waist down.
Eliminating someone changes your season to the next one after that in the following sequence (Winter->Fall->Summer->Spring->Winter…etc.) The teacher must keep track of who got who out because this will change who they can get out.
Someone who is the same original season cannot eliminate their team mates, even if they have changed seasons by eliminating another player.
If you eliminate three people (One from each of the opposing seasons) you then start back at the first one you were opposed to. (For example: Spring eliminates someone from Winter, then someone from Fall, then someone from Summer, they then can start again from Winter)
The point of this game is to teach kids which season comes after which. So by telling them Spring comes after winter, therefore it “beats” it. This will teach them the cycle of seasons as well as get them physically active and also about teamwork.

I love the critiques actually, makes me continue to keep thinking up ideas even after I've submitted for the contest. Thanks for all the help/advice/questions!

Sincerely,
Tim Edwards
Old 04-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #30
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

I actually liked your original tag game best.
I wrote this in my submission - the hardest thing in this challange is trying to keep things simple. The rules for these ideas seem a bit too complicated for 6 years old. I have a 5 year old neice and trying to keep her attention on something for more then 5 minutes is a realy hard task, so explaining the rules should be a pretty straight forward thing. In my submission I had a progressive rules game - it starts pretty simple and I added rules in every new round of the game so the students will always have a new chalange as they get more familiar with the game.
maybe your should start with only one cave men group and one dinosaur group and add dinosaur races as the games progresses?

Regarding the seasons idea - I liked the concept, but I think the teacher will have too much of a hard time keeping up with each kid's current season (again, I don't know if you have ever been in a room with 20 6 year olds, but they make ALOT of noise and each one demands your attention) so maybe you should simplify the rules a bit.

BTW - don't want to be too picky, but hitoricaly wise - weren't the dinosaurs extinct long before there were cave men?
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote