Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
syrous137

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss29
Default Devolping a game need some outside sources

Ok im devolping my own game and i want to ask something that is simple.
Its a gladiator game which is more like an rpg. dont want to give to much information out.
1. What would you like to see in an Arena Style based game ( Gladiators)
2. would you prefer an offline mode if its made for online play.
3. would you like to see a historic game or something thats non-hisotric
4. Any Tips for me to know.
syrous137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

1. So mostly PVP eh? Hmm. It would have to be fluid, and it would have to have more than just slugging it out with other gladiators in my opinion. I recommend you look at this in particular. I don't know what your expertise is or even if you're doing it in 3D, but he won this contest for a reason. I'd PM him for advice on a battle system!
2. Offline mode could be nice, kind of as a tutorial to hone your skills before sending you to the slaughter. It's never a bad thing. Also you said RPG. Have you checked out the Lucasarts made console game, Gladius? Also look up solely PVP games and PVP systems like Risk Your Life or Fury I believe it's called.
3. Historic never hurts, but I would loosely base it off history. Use historical figures, towns, colisieum is a must. Then go ahead and use your imagination from there.
4. Research and... umm, good luck!

Tim Edwards
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1464

Without any idea what your vision is, I can't really comment. An online arena-style gladiator role-playing game is a very general description, however I will endeavour...

1) Arena-Style as in Coliseum? Sure, why not?
2) Depends on target platform
3) Doesn't matter
4) Check out: Rock, Paper, Scissors!
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Adam Moore

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrous137 View Post
Ok im devolping my own game and i want to ask something that is simple.
Its a gladiator game which is more like an rpg. dont want to give to much information out.
1. What would you like to see in an Arena Style based game ( Gladiators)
2. would you prefer an offline mode if its made for online play.
3. would you like to see a historic game or something thats non-hisotric
4. Any Tips for me to know.
1. This question is way too broad.
2. No. If the game is meant to be multi-player, don't tack on a single player version. At most, offer bot-controlled enemies to fill up empty slots in multiplayer games.
3. Doesn't matter.
4. It's been done before.
Adam Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
syrous137

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss29

ok i just wanted to see what you guys would say if i didnt give any details. and no gunz isnt anything like my game. i will check out rock paper scissors though read that.

but any way, im devolping a gladiator based on the romans. nothing with shooting people but realistic sword fighting. i wanted to conduct research and see what people would like to see in a gladiator game in the near future. I understand that everyone loves blood and gore, but thats not the point of this. Im talking about game play and game mechanics. I dont really want to give any details, but heres an example. There are going to be many arenas and in each arena you'll have a popularity ranking. the higher it is, the stronger your character is in that arena comparing to your opponet. Theres more to it that just getting stronger, but thats all you get. Thank you for your time.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Stronger? Stronger doesn't sound good. I would suggest something like the NHL games fan ratings, where how fans much like you affects the seeding of random generators.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
syrous137

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss29

ok i may have used the wrong term. i ment it will most likely improve your stats and put the favor towards you. doesnt mean you will win.. people do mess up alot..

Fans are just like popularity but in each city you need to improve it to be the highest ranking gladiator..
example if you are really high in just one arena.. people will some what hear about you and thus your popularity ranking will increase very little but it wont be at zero.

Last edited by syrous137 : 04-27-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:32 AM   #8
Dared111

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

1. I would like to see multiple weapon types with a variety of looks within each types. I would also like to see animals.
2. I would prefer offline play available.
3. Historic with some kind of weird fantasy element added in.
4. Do offline first.
At an appropriate stage get LOTS of playtesters (Mostly friends) and tell them to be brutally honest about the gameplay, graphics and audio. Hand them updates frequent updates and ask if its better or worse and why each time.
Provide audio and visual cues so people know what is happening.
Make the player belive they are doing well by making characters spring away when hit.
Dared111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
syrous137

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss29

soo i was planning to be able to play NPC's but receive less experience and not go up in rank in the player leader boards.. also i decieded to add some extra features to it by adding a few game plays like CTF.. stuff like that... would anyone be interested in city devolpement.. as time goes on the city expands .. time changes...
Old 04-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

1)If your concept is a gladiatorial fight in an arena, screw the city. It adds an unnecessary layer of complexity and takes away from your focus. If you want different arenas, make players navigate to them from a menu bar or something.

2) Another major part of the roman gladiator fights was the crowd. This crowd can have favorites, sometimes the favorite isn't necessarily the player, the person who had all the odds in their favor, or the strongest. How would they react when their favorite is losing? Would they interfere with the match? If so, how? Would there be a way for the players to interact with the crowd and/or affect this bias toward their favor? Romans killed each other in the streets over these fights, which served primarily for entertainment. No doubt having some element of crowd bias would make your game more interesting.

3) Implementing a ranking system of all the players is a simple and effective way to motivate them to kick more butt. This system should take into the account the quantity and level of players defeated so people will play often but won't just pick on the little guys. Check out the facebook Pet Dragons app, which is a genius at this.

You should also have some kind of import option that would allow you as the developer to keep making new unlockable enemies and all the player would have to do is place that enemy within an empty arena and battle it. It would not be the main stage of the game, but the unlockability would provide an incentive for your players as well as help you test things out.
EvilLlama is offline   Reply With Quote