Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Other > Game Studies
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
jose2090

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18
Exclamation Video game studies for Foreings students!

Hi everyone my name is Jose Striedinger and im from Barraquilla/Colombia in southamerica. Since I was a little boy I loved videogames specially the graphics aspects. My wish is to have my own video gae developer company, but like any great dream it has to be done step by step.

But the thing is that I dont know where to start! Im seeing all schools in the list GameCareerGuide.com has, and I really didnt know about that there was a lot of them. Well is obvious that USA and Japan are the video game countries! But...well...im not rich...and taking a carreer in USA is very risky to me. So I have the make the best choice.

All of you must be developers or animators so you surely know more institutes than the school youe were in! So what can you say to me??

One of my biggest fear is the fact that a video game carreer is like....to specific...I dont know if u can understand me. I mean is that, very risky, because to get started, all the videogames carrers seems to b expensive!

Theres one specfic question Id like someone to answer it: Have anyone heard of the "Multimedia Engineering" carreer???...or maybe the bachelor in multimedia or multimedia graduate. Im sure that from that I can start my way to the videogames. Anyway anyone who have heard about this carreer plese give your advice!

THANK U SO MUCH!

PD: sorry if my english isnt perfect
jose2090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:42 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

What do you want to do in the industry? Program? Model? Animate? Produce? Design? etc.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
calelogan

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20
Default Similar Situation

I'm in a similar situation to Jose, but I live in Brazil though. I currently attend Law School and take other design classes at the university while I haven't graduated yet (one year and a half to go).

The problem is I still have a hard time establishing a plan after I'm done with law school. I definitely want to put all that behind and work on being a game designer and/or writer (I won't get into the whole narrative designer issue).

I think of graduating and then hopefully attending a game design school overseas (though I'm pretty sure they'll be extremely expensive especially for international students), where I'll get the education needed to compensate for all the years of law studies.

Presently I do work on developing games and both a designer and writer at a research group at the university. Though it's nothing big I guess it counts for the experience and at least something for the portfolio. Though I also have the habit of writing, most of what I write is in Portuguese (since I usually have to present it) and translating everything (even if for a portfolio) seems out of hand.

Any suggestions as to which school fits the bill or what path seems plausible after I'm done with Law?

A Vagrant Bard...
calelogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

This is just my opinion:

Definitely finish your Law degree. Finish the research group project and prepare your portfolio to show to companies.

This is the part where opinions may differ, at this stage I would try to apply to games companies in your country (here is a list). Once you have a few titles under your belt and several years experience, you can branch out to companies in other countries if you wish to.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
calelogan

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20

Thanks for the advice Yaustar.

But the gaming industry here isn't as half as developed as the industry is outside, such as Canada, US, Europe etc.

That's where the doubt arises. I fear that getting a job here after I graduate won't necessarily move my career forward a lot and I also desire to learn more about Game Design. I feel as if I lack the proper formal knowledge and therefore thought of the possibility of going to a game school abroad after graduating at law. That way I'd be more prepared for a job here in Brazil or hopefully might even get hired at a small developer abroad after finishing the program.

Does that sound far fetched?

[Edit: I'll also check out the developers from the list you sent me. If i'm not mistaken there may be more around that aren't listed.]

Thanks a lot

A Vagrant Bard...

Last edited by calelogan : 05-15-2008 at 07:20 PM. Reason: More info
Old 05-16-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

Games Design doesn't really have a formal education. Even if the industry isn't as developed in Brazil, the idea is to get some industry experience and game credits on your CV/resume.

Without previous industry experience, getting employed abroad can be extremely difficult as they will favour local talent especially for level entry roles.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
calelogan

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Games Design doesn't really have a formal education. Even if the industry isn't as developed in Brazil, the idea is to get some industry experience and game credits on your CV/resume.

Without previous industry experience, getting employed abroad can be extremely difficult as they will favour local talent especially for level entry roles.
That's something that intrigues me.

I know it's common sense that I should finish my law school and graduate before trying any other moves. What I don't understand is that if Game Design requires no formal education, why is it recommended that I graduate at Law?

After all I doubt my formal law education will help me design games. As for a CV/resume...I don't know.

To sum it up: What's the importance of a Law degree in the Game Design career?

A Vagrant Bard...
Old 05-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by calelogan View Post
To sum it up: What's the importance of a Law degree in the Game Design career?
The fact that you have finished some formal education. In the worse case, you can't find a job in the games industry, then at least you have a degree to fall back on to find another job.

Read: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/designprep.htm
and: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson34.htm
Old 05-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
calelogan

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
The fact that you have finished some formal education. In the worse case, you can't find a job in the games industry, then at least you have a degree to fall back on to find another job.

Read: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/designprep.htm
and: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson34.htm
Is this worst case scenario something common and/or expected when dealing with careers in the game industry?

A Vagrant Bard...
Old 05-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by calelogan View Post
Is this worst case scenario something common and/or expected when dealing with careers in the game industry?
Depends on your definition of common, but it does happen more then people would like simply because demand outstrips supply. There are far more applicants then there are roles.