Old 04-30-2008, 05:03 AM   #1
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421
Default J. Portnow's Game Design Challenge: FPS Gun

Discuss your questions and ideas here for "James Portnow's Game Design Challenge" for April 30, 2008.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
Zizi

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Awesome. The last one was my first(just found the site yesterday, despite having been a Gamasutra reader for quite some time), and it was just a ton of fun to come up with some quick ideas on. Seeing this one early enough to have the whole week to work on it should make for a lot more fun. Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!
Zizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:49 AM   #3
Exaggeration17A

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

How technical do you want us to get with the specifications of our weapons? Since I don't know how tough the enemies are, I'm hesitant to assign a solid damage rating to some of my ideas. I don't want to make anything too overpowered....

Also, by machine gun, do you mean any weapon with a firing rate similar to a conventional machine gun? Or is just weapons like the M-16 and AK-47 that have been scrapped?

One last semi-related question: when do we get to see the results from the week 2 challenge?
Exaggeration17A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
gabewb

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default melee

Are melee weapons acceptable entries for this competition? They're not "guns" exactly, but they seem to fit the spirit of what's being asked for.

On that note, can we put a significant melee component into our guns? For example, can we have a bayonet as a central design element?

Last edited by gabewb : 05-01-2008 at 11:30 AM.
gabewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

Alright, alright... I suppose someone has to break the ice and start the sharing. I suppose I shall start! Hope you guys enjoy these, as well I hope I inspire you guys! Let me know what you think, as well... if anyone would like to do up a quick sketch of what they think these would look like, I'd certainly love it! Just curious if my descriptions match my imagination!

The Soul Sucker
Background: One of three guns of Legend. Owned by ancient medieval assassin Lucife D’Anguille; He was the top ranked assassin before the fires of Hades called for him to take up the role of Death. Created only through Alchemy and Dark Magic, a user must bind with the gun in order for it to achieve full power. By firing a blast of energy directly into the chest or head of an enemy, the soul is ripped from the target and its power given equally to the user and the gun itself. The more evil the target, the more ammo received. But the nicer the target, the more health is received.

Specifications!
Type - Shotgun
Damage - Special*
Clip Size - 10
Bullet Type - Special**
Bullet Speed - 200 fps
Accuracy - Head or Chest Only
Area of Effect - None
Rate of Fire - 1/15s
Trajectory - Straight
Reload - 30s

* - This gun is an instant kill weapon on regular enemies. On boss enemies it will not work and is not good for large groups.
** - The bullets are instant kill, regardless of armor. Killing evil nets you more ammo, but killing good nets you more health.
*** - If you end up missing 10 shots, or kill 10 good guys the reload takes ½ your health to replace the 10 shots. Definitely recommended to switch to another weapon until you can get somewhere safe to lose the health.

Portachet (Portable Trebuchet AKA Hand Cannon)
Background: Once a King thought, “If we all had trebuchets, this siege would be easier,” and so… it was done. The “Portachet” was created as a handheld siege device or a destroyer of armies. For use either mounted or steadied, only the strongest of the strong ran into battle wielding these. Designed to fold up easily using the user’s forearm, the portachet is loaded at shoulder level and released forward.

Specifications!
Type - Rocket Launcher
Damage - 75%
Clip Size - 1
Bullet Type - Bludgeoning/Piercing
Bullet Speed - 600fps
Accuracy - Straight
Area of Effect - None
Rate of Fire - 1/5s
Trajectory - Straight Line
Reload - 5s

The Portachet is easy to reload, however it can only carry one fist sized bullet at a time. The damage and speed at which the projectile is launched can be lessened if released early. Also the ammo comes in Iron Balls, Spiked Balls, Gun Powder (Exploding) Balls or Acid Balls. The latter two are small enough to not do splash damage.

Tesla Chain
Background: A wise magician thought he could control electricity. He died. Later, another man did control electricity. He invented a weapon designed to bring Titans to their knees. The original model dubbed “The Thunderbolt” was essentially a glove linked to a battery type backpack. These gloves were linked to the battery and could draw energy when the palms were open. However, after many failed attempts at opening doors or using the washroom, this concept was scrapped for a more reliable design. The Tesla Chain shoots out tiny rods that stick in enemies. These can be shot as a secondary fire, as the primary fire releases electricity in many quick bursts. Conservation of ammo is key for this weapon as it can only be recharged through direct sunlight or at a lightning rod.

Specifications!
Type - Chain Gun
Damage - 5% (per lightning strike)
Clip Size - 500 (70 rods)
Bullet Type - Elemental
Bullet Speed - Instant
Accuracy - Special*
Area of Effect - Special**
Rate of Fire - 1/1s
Trajectory - Random***
Reload - (Rod = Instant) (Sunlight = 5 Mins) ****

* - Accuracy is single target if no rods are shot, if rods are fired accuracy can chain between rods to conserve ammo.
** - Area of effect is directly in front, unless rods have been fired off.
*** - If a group of enemies is in front it will randomly attack and stun single enemies. If attacking close to rods or highly conductive metal, ammo may be absorbed by these. Also, it can be fired into water to also produce rod grouping effect.
**** - If you reload at a lightning rod, your gun gets instantly recharged. Otherwise your gun must not be used for 5 minutes to achieve maximum charge. Any less than 5 minutes and you risk losing battery charge life and may lose the capacity for maximum ammo.

Enjoy and Good Luck!
Tim Edwards
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:04 AM   #6
toyoka

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss193

Hm.. very interesting ideas. I may in-fact create some concepts for these ideas if I have the time Or maybe I should just create some ideas of my own :P
toyoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimEdwards View Post

Tesla Chain

Type - Chain Gun
Although I like your ideas, question: Aren't chain guns types of machine guns? Or is wikipedia wrong? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_gun
EvilLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
jshockley

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss49

Hey Tim I hope you don't mind if I steal your format for describing the gun, Also I'm gonna put my submission up when I write it up, then I'll give a critique if you'd like.
jshockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
EnSanity

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss29

The thing about this challenge is that machine guns serve a purpose in the game besides being fun (though that is a large factor, of course). If you need to kill an enemy from far away or without attracting notice you use a sniper rifle, if you have an enemy very close to you you blast them with a shotgun, and if you need to put a lot of lead in the air to kill an oncoming rush of enemies, you use a machine gun. But if players don't enjoy using the machine gun, as this scenario says has occurred, they will either dislike the situations that causes them to have to use it, or will attempt to find another suitable weapon. If they are forced to use the weapon they don't like they will have a negative impression of that part of the game, which is bad for sales, so the other option is better. If there are no machine guns, players will experiment with their other weapons, and then the designer's goal is to design a suitable one with much of the same uses as a machine gun, but one that still feels fun where the machine gun does not.
Tim Edwards, while I commend you on your flavorful description of the guns, and creativity in variety of ammo and shooting styles and stuff like that, your guns are essentially just reskinned shotguns, rocket launchers, and chain guns, respectively. The game is now, if not hurt by it's lack of machine guns, at least not at an advantage because of it. It is still basically the same as Generic FPS, only with one less gun than Generic (the machine gun).

I hope that makes sense to people.
EnSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #10
jshockley

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss49

O.K. for the critique, I would say that the soulsucker is pretty cool, but with the gun you encourage killing "good" people; I don't know what type of game this gun would be in, but games get a bad enough rap as it is without the encouragement of killing "good" people.

Your portable trebuchet is like a big all in one gun with different ammo types; I think that makes it a little too complex. I would say pick one ball type and maybe focus on a bounce since they are balls. Unless it were the only gun you had in the game, or you're main gun that was handled seperately from the other guns in the game.

The lightning thing is o.k. but it's lacking as it's only another skin for a lightning gun that takes longer to kill people and you rarely get to use it. Maybe if it arc'd to other rods and created a "net" of some sorts (which is kinda like my submission).

Don't be mad at me...
jshockley is offline   Reply With Quote