Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
CKeene

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss80
Default Game Script Template

I created this for my personal use and thought it might benefit those of you looking to include a script in your portfolio. It's inspired by the template Bioware has recently added to their Jobs page. I added quite a bit of formatting to improve the process of entering the dialogue into a Conversation Editor from Word.

The main purpose of this template is to allow the reader to easily navigate the conversation as though they were in game. A system of document links and bookmarks make the script read more like a CYOA novel than your typical TV or movie script, which I feel is more appropriate for games.

This is best used in Word 2007 since it comes as a template with all of the Styles pre-designated. All you need to do is insert your text.

Note: You must right click this link and select SAVE LINK AS to use this file. Just following the link will bring you to a page of encrypted nonsense. So right click, Save Link As, then when it's finished downloading you can open it.

http://the-azarian.com/ckdesigns/script_template.dotx

For users without Word 2007:

I saved this as a template that should be compatible with older versions of Word but for some reason when I attempt to Save Link As it calls it a WordPad file. You may have better luck, but if you don't I've provided a .doc file as well.

If using the .dot file, you must follow the same instructions as above: Save Link As and then open it. If using the .doc file you can just click the link and download it from there. The different between the two is that one is a Template, one is just a standard document. The standard document will have to be renamed in a Save As when you enter your information or you will overwrite the blank template. A Template will create a new blank copy for you.

http://the-azarian.com/ckdesigns/script_template.dot

http://the-azarian.com/ckdesigns/script_template.doc
CKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:45 AM   #2
Moe Jo.

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Thank you..
Moe Jo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

* unrelated bump *
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
calelogan

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20

Thanks a lot CKeene.

This should prove useful for a concept script even if it doesn't end up implemented in a game.

Let us know if anything else comes up

A Vagrant Bard...
calelogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
CKeene

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss80

I'm glad you guys are finding it useful. Please let me know if you'd like to see any features added and I'll look into it. Also, I'd love to see what you end up doing with it. Feel free to email me any results. You can use the link in my profile, or my email is on my site.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
calelogan

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20

As part of a personal project I'm planning on adapting a short story to a CYOA sort of script and later on possibly implementing it as a short quest mod for The Witcher.

Problem is, I just started fiddling with the "script_template" file and realized a "How To" guide would come in handy.

I don't mean to sound lazy; I just didn't understand how exactly should I edit the slots and so on.

Thanks

A Vagrant Bard...
calelogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
CKeene

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss80

Did you read the template? Click through the nodes, they give instruction.

But I can type something up if that's not helpful. You can also view the Baiting the Beast documents on my portfolio.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Could we please use the term IF? Choose your own adventure is the print version, the electronic version is called Interactive fiction.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #9
CKeene

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss80

Doesn't Interactive Fiction refer to games and the like which use this format, such as text-based games and, for example, the game Facade? That's what Wiki says anyway.

The script template here is not meant to be iterated as an IF. It's just a reference version of what will eventually get put into a conversation editor.

Semantics aside, it is just a template in a Word Processor, and I use the term CYOA lightly to describe a comparison.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
Beth A. Dillon

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss30

Hey any chance you've sent this to the IGDA Game Writing SIG mailing list? Not sure it's up on the wiki there--would be a very helpful resource!

- Beth