Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Programming
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
bitman

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default Suggestions for striving programmer?

Okay, so I'm in college and really looking into and investigating my options for after school is done. That said, my degree is going to be an associates in software engineering. I think that I would like to get into game programming however I've yet to see any job postings that don't:

a)Require a full four year degree in computer science.

or

b)two or more years of experience in the field

Any suggestions on what I can do to get my foot in the door and boost my job eligibility come 2009 without taking an extra two years of college? Or honestly, any other sector of business? My school sings a tune of 60k a year after school is out for this degree....but I'm skeptical.
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2244

Possible routes I can think of:
1) Do education and time needed for the degree and apply for a job.
2) Attempt to apply anyway regardless of the requirements and hope you can get to an interview either through luck and/or based off your portfolio.
3) If you have any contacts in the industry, use them to help get your application in.
4) Apply for a related job outside the industry and if you get it, get a couple of years experience and try breaking into the industry again.
5) Start low (QA/Level scripter) and hope you get a chance to be promoted to a programmer position soon.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
bitman

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Thanks for the suggestions Yaustar. I guess I'm really just wondering what a two year degree from a technical college will get me and if it's enough to get into the industry. I'm developing my skills in C++, C# and VB with Java coming in this summer. My knowledge of each is not vast, but workable and enough to get me learning about more. I'm wondering if it's enough though for a job when I graduate in 2009?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Again it's not really a case of having academic qualifications, but how you put them to use. To get that first job, you need a good demo, so think of your qualification not as the target, but as a tool to help you better achieve the true goal, a stunning demo that no developer could say no to. If you get the qualification and do nothing with it, it's not going to be enough. Experience and demonstrating that you are capable is what will get you there.
Claxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2244

Quote:
I'm wondering if it's enough though for a job when I graduate in 2009?
Maybe, maybe not. We can't predict the future. There are ways to better your chances but nothing is impossible.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
bitman

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Thumbs up

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Sounds positive, I guess I just need to do some decent extracurriculars to make it work for me.