Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271
Default school tour and scholarships hunt

so, after giving it a lot of thought I decided that taking a break for a year or two from work and going back to school is what I want to try to do, there is currently one school that fits me best (it has a masters degree, 1 year program in game programming), and I plan on going to see it somwhere around October, the school is in Canada (Ontario) and I thought maybe look into some other schools while I'm there (just a reminder - I live in Israel). do you have any advice about how to plan such a tour so I could make the best of it? Where to go when i'm at the school, who to talk to? How much help should I expect to get from the school regarding planning my trip and staying in the school area?

second quesiton - I'm also starting a scholarship hunt, do you know any websites or companies that offer scholarships for overseas students?

thanks,
Tamar
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
admin
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss10

Hi Tamar,
On the "schools" tab on our homepage, you can find a directory of hundreds of schools that offer game or game-related courses of study. You can sort them by location. Just scroll down past the featured listings until you see the header "country." Click that, and you can easily see a bunch of schools in Canada (I counted more than 50).

When you click on a school, you'll find its web site and phone number, and often the cost of tuition, though be careful -- as an overseas student, you'll have to closely investigate the fees.

GameCareerGuide.com also has news, and I try to post scholarship opportunities related to games as news items, especially if a deadline is approaching. I HAVE recently seen some for students at Canadian schools specifically, though I'm not sure if they were for graduate-level studies.

Hopefully that's a start!
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
Emrica
Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Ok friends, I am unemployed. I have decided to start business of furniture and I need business grant for that. But I have some questions about that. What’s the real deal on US Govt. Grants? Has anyone you know ever applied for one and actually got one? Are they hard to get? How hard is the paperwork? Also is there a good site that is legitimate about these grants? Please give me just some more information on how to get started. Thanks.
Emrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrica View Post
Ok friends, I am unemployed. I have decided to start business of furniture and I need business grant for that. But I have some questions about that. What’s the real deal on US Govt. Grants? Has anyone you know ever applied for one and actually got one? Are they hard to get? How hard is the paperwork? Also is there a good site that is legitimate about these grants? Please give me just some more information on how to get started. Thanks.
What does this have to do with school tours? You may have better luck starting a dedicated thread.

On topic, however, I am not familiar with the system on US government grants.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
ngubie

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss21

@ TG1
Mind if I ask what school in Ontario Canada you're thinking of? I wasn't aware we had a school that offered a 1 yr Master's program in video game programming. I'm interested in reading more about this.

Thanks
ngubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

Hey,
I was talking about Algoma University in Sault Ste. Marie, they offer a masters degree in computer games technology (together with Abertay university in Scotland)
Facebook profile
Old 12-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Roxanne BP

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss50

If you're interested in studying in Canada, maybe you could check for Concordia University, in Montreal. They have a lot of graduate programs in computer science, and some certificates specialized in video games development. It is all in English and you could be in one of the hottest spot for Video Games in Canada, so you'll have a lot of opportunities to meet people of the industry.

For more info: http://www.cs.concordia.ca/prospecti...mputerscience/

Now for your trip, one thing to know is that Canada is really large, so cities are kind of far from each other. You should plan your trip wisely. If you don't want to drive, you can go almost everywhere in Canada by train or bus. Ontario and Quebec provinces are close, so moving from Toronto to Montreal or vice-versa is relatively easy. However, if you want to go in Alberta or BC (British Colombia), where there is some other game-related schools, you should do it in a different trip or take a plane from Toronto.

Also, check the websites of the schools that you're interested in. They sometimes organize open doors events and things like that. You should write or email to the department in charge of foreigner students. They will provide you a lot of useful information.

Hope it can help!
Roxanne BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #8
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

Thanks for the tips, but I already did the trip
I visited the Guildhall and Algoma before and after attending Austin GDC (I had ALOT of flights during that trip). They were both very hospitable and gave me a complete tour and I was impressed by both programs.

Those tips might come in handy in the future though
Facebook profile

Last edited by TG1 : 12-10-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
ngubie

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss21

I just found this article also and thought you might be interested.
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pb...FREE&nocache=1
Granted NY isn't in Canada, but if you're in Israel I don't think that matters much to you?
ngubie is offline   Reply With Quote