Get the latest Education e-news

Old 05-17-2008, 05:39 AM   #1
feima

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Default Crossroad Junction

Hi guys , I have actually posted regarding this issue before but dint get much advice probably because i did not provide enough info.

So firstly would like to give a background information about myself. I am currently pursuing a Mechanical Engineering degree in a local Technological University ( Singapore )

Gaming industry is pretty much in its infant stages here in Singapore with 4 major games company here, however , they do mostly localisation and testing.

For my whole life i have been bumping around losing my sense of direction in life, for the 2 years i spent in university i realise how much i hated what i was studying , thus i started looking to other career options. My passion is to work in the Digital media industry , namely movies and games. My aim is to work down the path of a producer in game industry , because i like human interaction and at same time be part of the development team.

Digipen is starting classes here in Sept 2008 , and i am contemplating to make a switch, i am intending to enrol in its RTIS ( Comp Sci ) Program. I reckon this would be essential background knowledge to be a producer and it will platform me into industry.

Now my concern is i have read up quite a bit about disadvantages of game schools especially so in my local context with such a raw industry and new school here, everything is a risk.

So i would like to ask the industry experts,

1) Should i finish up my Mech Engine degree ( 2 more years ) , and further my studies in Gaming

2) Forgo everything and switch to enrol in Digipen ( 4 years course)

Appreciate for the help

Thank you
feima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

Looking at your last thread, you wanted to use programming as your foothold to get into the industry. The new question is whether you can see yourself doing Application Software Development if you can't make it into the games industry?

If you can, and you really hate your current studies, then it has to be your decision whether or not you leave your current course and enrol into a Computer Science program (be it at Digipen or another University).

It is also worth noting that doing a Computer Science degree won't give that much background knowledge for Producer role.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
feima

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Hey yaustar, thanks alot for your prompt reply !
you are always so quick at reply

Anyway , currently i havent really tried programming but i feel i wont enjoy doing application software development.

So if programming knowledge is not needed to be a producer , hmmm how is it possible to enter the gaming industry? Even with a mechanical engineering degree??

Sounds kind of far fetched ....
Old 05-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

Quote:
Anyway , currently i havent really tried programming but i feel i wont enjoy doing application software development.
Then doing a Computer Science degree is not for you.

Quote:
So if programming knowledge is not needed to be a producer , hmmm how is it possible to enter the gaming industry?
Programming is not the only way to enter the industry. As mentioned in the last thread you created, a producer is not an entry level role. People have worked from the bottom to get the experience and skills needed to become a producer. This includes QA, Artists, Sound Engineers, Level Scripters/Designers and Designers.

Quote:
Even with a mechanical engineering degree??
Yes, you can enter the industry with such a degree.

Read: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson42.htm
And the rest of his articles.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
feima

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

actually i have read through all his articles , but i still cant fathom why would they hire a Mechanical Engineer even into their say QA dept?

I would be vying with people with more related education like computer engine and computer science?
Old 05-18-2008, 06:42 AM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

Quote:
actually i have read through all his articles , but i still cant fathom why would they hire a Mechanical Engineer even into their say QA dept?
Taking about QA specially, it's a QA position. All that matters is that you can do the job well. The degree is there to show you have completed some form of higher education.

Quote:
I would be vying with people with more related education like computer engine and computer science?
It is still possible to enter with an unrelated degree, just harder. This is where your portfolio counts, it has to be really good to get noticed.